addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Inquisitive Minds Message Board › How will we manage the discussion?

How will we manage the discussion?

Jeanne L.
user 7183648
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 1
We had quite a crowd last Friday. It was great to see so many people. I'm wondering how we'll be able to get everyone's ideas heard at such big meetings. Where I work we take a running roster of hands and take them in order. The person in charge nods at anyone who puts up a hand and adds them to the list. We periodically read out the roster so people know where they are in the stack. The downside of this is that it's hard to directly respond to another person. Patience is required. It helps to take brief notes. The upside is that quieter people get heard and the whole room can hear what's said. It also prevents side conversations from distracting from the larger discussion. I'm interested in what people think. Is there another way that you know of that works well?
Jeanne
Daniel
user 8182079
Newton Center, MA
Post #: 1
Jeanne raises an important issue, and suggests one possible approach to managing a discussion in a large group.

Another method of encouraging everyone's participation is to split into small groups (3 - 5 people is probably good) for short periods (say, 10 minutes at a time). At the end of each small-group discussion, one person from each group presents to the entire group a summary of what happened. We can keep the same small groups for multiple rounds, or shuffle the groups.

Daniel
Jeanne L.
user 7183648
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 2
Nice. Someone was talking to me after the meeting last week about having smaller groups. I think he might have meant it to be on a permanent basis. Another deciding factor might be how large is any particular meet up.
Karen W.
Karenrene
Arlington, MA
Post #: 109
I love the idea of smaller groups when there's a large number of attendees.