addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

San Diego International Meetup Message Board › Poll on book discussions

Poll on book discussions

Wilfredo P.
user 11974495
Chula Vista, CA
Post #: 243
I'm an avid reader and would like to know if any members are interested in book discussions. My idea is to have them at restaurants or at the homes of members. I have extensive experience leading book discussions, so I can do this for our group. Of course, anyone who wants to can lead a discussion as well. The books would pertain to international and multicultural issues. ESL students would be welcome. I would expect everyone involved to be patient with the ESL students and help them with their English.

My only rules for book discussions are (1) be courteous and respectful to each other, and (2) no censorship--any viewpoint is welcome as long as it is stated rationally and respectfully. Book club members should value the marketplace of ideas.

Anyway, please respond to this post if you are interested in book discussions. And please feel free to share your thoughts about these discussions: where and when they should be held, how long they should last, subject matter, etc. If there is enough interest, I will schedule our first book discussion Meet-up in June. Thanks!

Barbara C.
BarbraC-teremuso
La Mesa, CA
Post #: 106
I've always wanted to join a book club, but never have. This sounds like a really good one to join, and I especially love the international/multicultural aspect. I'd love to give it a try, so count me in.
Cristy
cristycol
San Diego, CA
Post #: 1
I am definitely interested in participating. The only issue is that with my work travel schedule I may not be able to make all meetings - but if that would be OK, I would like to participate. I like the subject matter of international/multicultural topics. Restaurants as a venue sound great because we could also share an international meal; however, we would need to ensure that it would be conducive to a having a discussion, for example not too loud to allow the entire group to hear and participate in the discussion.
A former member
Post #: 16
Yes book discussions are great, especially with the format as you stated.

Here are the books I like,
Barbara Freese: Coal: a human history
Gabriel Garcia Marquez: News of a kidnapping
Liao Yiwu:The corpse walker
Asne Seierstad:The bookseller of Kabul
Chris Hedges: war is a force that gives us meaning
Kamlesh
user 8907625
Bangalore, IN
Post #: 4
I'm not an avid reader. I read random articles, papers, publications, biographies, and just about anything on travel and food :)

The last book I read is Steve Jobs, so now y'all can see what a weird taste I have in reading lol
A former member
Post #: 17
My next book will be about Detroit and the rust belt. And also about the under ground economy. "The moral underground"is the title. We should consider that one, but I will read it and let you know about it.
A former member
Post #: 18
I went to dime storiesbefore I left for the D and, NY. I would like to see a meetup discussion event where people find something obscure and bring a copy of it to discuss, it could be a very broad way to take in stuff. Who wouldn't be surprised to know, with internet so huge I would be curious to see what people come up with.