addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

James River Hikers Message Board › Information for our June 30 hike

Information for our June 30 hike

Dennis B.
user 13500397
Group Organizer
Richmond, VA
With our hike exactly one week from this morning, I'd like to provide information and suggestions you may find helpful.

I have revised the hike slightly to make it more historically interesting, visually appealing and a bit more challenging.  It is now about 6 miles, and with a large group (41 have currently RSVP'd yes) I predict will take about 3 1/2 hours.

In Hollywood Cemetery we'll visit the graves of two American Presidents and see what I consider the best view of Richmond and the James River.  We'll walk the circumference of Belle Island and see all of it's historical features.  We'll briefly cross to the south side of the river where you'll find options for hiking there including the Buttermilk Trail.

Weather.com predicts a blazing hot day of 97.  Therefore it is especially important that you hydrate (drink lots of fluids) Saturday morning before the hike.  Bring water with you, and I also suggest an apple, banana or power bar.  And I emphasize this: Don't hesitate to cancel if you personally think the heat will just be too uncomfortable for you.

Obviously wear comfortable shoes, use sunblock, and I recommend a hat.  While certainly not required, I always use hiking sticks.

We'll come across our first port-a-potties at mile 1.8 and there are others on Belle Island.

My objective is to generally remain together as a group, and therefore the pace will be somewhat dictated by our slowest hiker.  We certainly will not be in a rush, but I request you do your best (without straining) to keep up.

Arrive early as we plan to begin hiking promptly at 8am.   I will have a list of those who RSVP'd yes and will take an attendance before we begin.  Please revise your RSVP to no before Saturday morning if you decide to not join us.

I believe our meeting location was adequately described in the original hike announcement. Included there was the cemetery address which you should be able to navigate to via a GPS or Richmond map.   Riverview Cemetery is located between Hollywood Cemetery and Mt. Calvary Cemetery.  You'll find ample parking on the grass at the south eastern most corner of the cemetery. You'll literally be able to look down at the river from where your car is parked.

Questions?  Call me at 858-774-4943 including the morning of the hike if necessary.

I look forward to seeing you Saturday morning June 30 at about 7:45 am.

Dennis

PS: Bring your camera