addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

JAPANESE MEETUP Message Board › POWELL STREET FESTIVAL!!!!

POWELL STREET FESTIVAL!!!!

meru
nenene
Tokyo, JP
Post #: 143
Yo Minna!

This weekend is the Powell Street Festival. The largest Japanese Cultural Event that we've got. I hope to see lots of you out there supporting the community!

I'll be hanging around starting at 2pm both days. I'll be there till the finish likely. If you'd like to join me you only have to post your interest and I can find a way to meet up with you at the park.

C'mon everybody! Let's have some fun!

-nenene
TheDruid-3X3
TheDruid-3X3
Surrey, BC
Post #: 392
Kono Powell O-Matsuri ni Sanka Shimashita.

Takusan Gome wa Torimashita soshite Okii na Gomebaku no naka ni Nagirimashita.

As usuall, I participated in the Powell O-Matsuri. It was the 7th year in a row that I served as their Environment Coordinator, which means that gather up and throw out the Garbage in the Big Garbige Bins.

While I was doing my Environmental Work, I ran into Ken.

However, at the Coordinators Wrap Up Meeting, it was announced that during next August, Oppenheimer Park is going to be Dug Up and Renovated, so being able to put on Next Years Powell O-Matsuri is now in doubt.

During the Meeting, they proposed a couple of alternate sites, such as the JLS. Next Year O-Matsuri may even be cancelled until 2008.

Mimashoo!

KNR
TheDruid-3X3
TheDruid-3X3
Surrey, BC
Post #: 820
Konnichi Wa to Orai Fujikawa Sensei-San:

It is Monday morning after getting back from helping out with the Environment and Sustainability Coordination at this years Powell Street Festival. I looked around for you, but I could not see you, so I guess you were not able to make it, so I have decided to write up this report so about how the Festival went for your enjoyment.

This year, Oppenheimer Park is being renovated in preparation for the Olympics, so the Festival had to be held in Woodland Park, which is two blocks south of Hastings Street and one block east of Commercial Street. This park is about twice the size of Oppenheimer, so they set up a extra stage for extra entertainment on the south side of the park clubhouse.

For the most part, they organized the Festival to be almost exactly the same as they did at Oppenheimer, although the Food Booths were all on one street instead of both sides of the park. I guess since Woodland Park was long enough from North to South, all the Food Booths were able to fit on one street. I checked the Buddhist Temple Vegetable Stand and they seemed to be doing as fine as normal.

The Main Stage was set up exactly the same as usual and they had pretty much the same acts and entertainment on as they always do every year except that they did the Omisoka Jinja on Saturday instead of Sunday.

Both Saturday and Sunday had extremely Hot Summer Weather and the temperatures got to over 30 degrees. The crowds that did show up were bigger than ever, so the change of location did not cause people to be put off from attending. Working with Garbage dispossal, I noticed that more Garbage was accumulated than usual, so that indicates that there were more Food Booth and Souvenir Sales than normal, so the Festival should have made a better profit than normal.

While working at a Recycling Station on Saturday, I met a nice Japanese Lady who said that she knew you and that she says she goes to your Temple from time to time.

Between Saturday and Sunday, I stayed at the park in my RV Van and got up very early in the morning to help start setting up for Sunday. That was when I had my little mishap.

I was in a Garbage Bin stomping down the compostable waste to make more space for more when a an old dirty food skewer poked through my rubber boats and jabbed my foot. Being concerned about that this mechanism of injury could cause me to contract Hepatitis, I went to the Commercial Street Medical Clinic near 1st Ave and got a Hepatitis Shot. As soon as I got my innoculation, I went back to the Festival to continue my duties.

Since I had a slightly injured foot, I was put in charge of keeping the main waste sorting depot organized while the other Environment Coordinator Cohen did most of the walking around. They did that so I would not have to walk on my injured foot as much.

Then I got a surprise on Sunday morning. When I was in the middle of changing a garbage tote bin, I ran into a Druidistic acquantance named Aziz. We are like minded people who are friends with the Druidistic Priestess Zoe, whose Sacred Grove is in Surrey. We had attended a couple of rituals at Zoe's Grove and I wished him a good Celtic Lughnasad Blessing. I then explained to him that my participating with the Powell Street Festival was my way of celebrating Lughnasad, which is the Celtic Celebration of the Early Harvest becoming Ripe. He then introduced me to his son, so is a handsome young man. Aziz is an Afro-English UKer who has immigrated to Canada and now works as a Social Worker. He and I like minded and respect each other.

One thing that annoyed me was the quality of the Garbage Bags that Smithwright Waste Disposal sold to the Festival. They were Biodegradable, but they were so weak that they broke open easily, spilling the contents all over the place on several occasions. Two times, they broke open in such as way that I ended up being showered with garbage. Fortunately, I had extra T-shirts in my Van, so I was able to change. I am thinking of writing a letter to Smithwright Disposal complaining about the quality of their product.

Then on Sunday, when the weather was was very hot, one of the Food Booth Workers, who had participated in the Sumo Basho, was overcome by the heat, and an Ambulance had to be called to come help him. I heard later that he recovered well.

After the last act of Taiko Drumming was over, we packed up all out equipment and went off to Dinner at the On Lok Restaurant. Tonight, I am going to their Volunteers Party. I hope to meet up with a Nice Japanese Girl that I met at the Festival.

I hope you are able to make to next years festival as I would like nothing more than to see you at the Powell Street Festival.

Druid Dave
TheDruid-3X3
TheDruid-3X3
Surrey, BC
Post #: 1,072
Here is a copy of a Letter that I sent to the Powell Street Festival that I translated into Japanese as best I could:

This is to let you guys know that I am willing to help Volunteer to help out with Zero Waste Challenge manning a Recycling Post on the Saturday of the Festival.

Most of the funnier stuff that I would like to participate with take place on Sunday, so I would prefer to work as Ordinary Volunteer on Saturday.

Kono joho ni watashi wa Doyobi dake ni Rei Haiki Chosen Hoshisha wa Shitai Desu. Doyobi O-Matsuri no Recycling Mochiba ni Sanka Shitai Desu.

Getsuyobi no O-Matsuri ni Yori Tanoshimi Motto Dekigoto wa Arimasu soshite kono Dekigoto ni Sanka Shitai Desu. Doyobi no aida ni Futsu na Hoshisha-nin wa Naritai Desu.

TheDruid-3X3
TheDruid-3X3
Surrey, BC
Post #: 1,087
Konnichiwa to All:

Just to let you know, I have Volunteered to help out with their Saturday's Recycling Program and am doing nothing but enjoying the Festival on Sunday.

So I am available to attend a Gathering of our Meetup during the Sunday's Festivities.

O-Matsuri Nichi Yobi no Kotoba Kurabu no Aimono wa Sanka Suru koto ga Dekimasu.

3X3

TheDruid-3X3
TheDruid-3X3
Surrey, BC
Post #: 1,731
After taking Two Year off from attending the O-Matsuri, I went back and recorded several Videos of the Event onto my Cell Phone and have been posting them up on my YouTube Channel:

Here is the Videos of Kinyobi Set Up:

http://www.youtube.co...­

Then on the next day on Doyobi after my Keibi Security Volunteer Work, I watched some Umbrella Dancers:

Then I got to watch a Jujutsu Martial Arts Exhibit:

Omoshiroi Deshita! Yondekudasai, Dozo!

3X3
TheDruid-3X3
TheDruid-3X3
Surrey, BC
Post #: 1,863
Konnichiwa to All:

I just got my Volunteer Schedule for the PSF and I am doing 2 Shifts of Security Volunteer Work on Doyobi Saturday and after Morning Set Up, I have No Shifts on Nichiyobi Sunday so I will be able to do nothing except enjoy the Festival.

So whoever wants to do a Japanese Meetup at the PSF on the Sunday, I am available to Meetup with You.

3X3
TheDruid-3X3
TheDruid-3X3
Surrey, BC
Post #: 1,872
Awens to All:

And as part of my Lughnasad Celebrations, I Volunteer at the Japanese Powell Street Festival. I Booked a Day Off from Work on Friday the 3rd of August in order to get the Set Up done. I showed up at about 8:00am and took these Pictures of the Site before Set Up.

Here is the South Path:

Here is the Main Field:

Here is the North Path:

Here is the Basket Ball Court:

Here is the Oppenheimer Park Club House:

A few hours later, this is the amount of Work we had gotten done:

At around 3pm, we had gotten most of the Festival Set Up done.

Here is the Community Affairs Tents put up along the South Path:

Here is the Main Diamond Stage set up on the Main Field:

Here is some Crafts Booth Tents set up on the North Path:

Here is the Children's Entertainment Tent set up near the Basket Ball Court:

And the Administration Tents set up out from of the Oppenheimer Park Club House:

I had my Fun last Friday booking a Day Off to help Set Up the Japanese Powell Street Festival. Too bad I did not see any of our Meetup Group show up to help do the Set Up.

Then on Saturday, I arrived and helped set up Tables & Chairs and set to Work doing Security Patrols up and down the Jackson Street Craft & Food Booths that were between Alexander & Powell Streets. I had a fairly active day as I had to keep making sure People from Bicycling too fast through the Crowd.

Then on Sunday, I had No Security Shifts so all I had to do was help with Morning Table & Chair Set Up and then went about enjoying the Festival.

One of the first things I checked out was the Ikebana & Bonzai Tree Displays in the Jackson Street Buddhist Temple.

Here is the Display of the Ikebana Flower Arrangement Art:

And here are Three Ikebana Arrangements I liked:

My Most Favorite is the one with Plums on it:

And here is a Sample of Bonzai Tree Art that I liked:

Then I took a couple of Videos for my YouTube Channel:

On the Sunday of the Festival I did not have any Volunteer Security Shifts to do so after setting up Tables & Chairs in the Morning, I got to enjoy the rest of the Days Entertainment.

Here is some Japanese Katana and Martial Arts:

https://www.youtube.c...­

Here is the Japanese Canadian Choir Sakura Singers:

And the Last Act I saw of the Day were the Okinawa Taiko Drummers with an Okinawan Spiritual Creature 'Shishi Mai':

Dave TheDruid-3X3