addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

JaxPHP / JaxWeb Message Board › Wrap up from last night (07/07/09) our Web Presence

Wrap up from last night (07/07/09) our Web Presence

imehesz
imehesz
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 30
hello,

here is a quick wrap-up from last night.

We all agreed, that something needs to be done, a mash-up site perhaps, with Twitter's and Meetup's (oh, and Flickr's ... etc) content ALL-IN-ONE place on our webpage (http://jaxphp.org...­)

The platform (I heard these, hopefully I don't miss anything):
- WordPress
- Drupal
- Joomla
- Eric's light weight framework ;)

I purposely highlighted WP, because most people picked that one if I remember correctly.

The Content:
- It all comes down to this: WHO is going to update/create/moderate the content? (also update WP!) How often?

- we already started Twitter, I think it's a very good thing, Eric is working on implementing a Calendar. We also need to put ourselves on the big PHP map (ie. http://php.net...) as Lig had mentioned.

Design:
- we need to communicate better with designers in the area, so they want to come to our meetings.
(and would like to do our design smile )

comments and ideas are welcome

--iM
Eric N.
user 4016762
Orange Park, FL
Post #: 33
Thanks, Imre, for kicking this off. I was editing my notes when I saw this, and I think you captured most of the discussion. Here are a few other items from my notes.

First, there are some good things about being on Meetup.com:

• new members find us easily
  • very good SEO
  • good scheduling and meetup notification

Some of the weak points about making Meetup.com our only web presence:

• limited opportunity for customization
  • only fair content management
  • no integration with twitter, youtube, etc.

We reviewed a few other other web (but not PHP) group's sites including:

The Refresh sites are design-oriented. They're basically blogs that use other sites for calendars and social networking. RubyJax includes some embedded video.

We also reviewed a very rough draft of a JaxPHP-JaxWeb mashup of content from our Meetup.com and Twitter sites, using Meetup.com and Twitter's APIs. This approach would integrate new content with our current Meetup and Twitter web presence.

After discussion of framework alternatives, we agreed to proceed with the mashup outline and integrate a Wordpress blog for members. We also discussed future options like: allowing signed-in members to tweet or retweet and; automating tweets based on Meetup and blog activity.

Over the next week I'll add a little more content and some notes to the draft mashup site presented at the meeting, then post a link for your review.

Then we can use at least part of the next meeting to talk about how the whole group can collaborate on design and content going forward.