addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

JaxRaw - NorthEast Florida's Raw & Living Foods Meetup Message Board › Nuts- Viable? Sproutable? Dead?

Nuts- Viable? Sproutable? Dead?

A former member
Post #: 531
An excerpt from an article I found:

Viability versus Sproutability:
The ultimate test of whether a seed is alive or not, is its viability, i.e. whether it will sprout and grow into a new plant.
However, nuts sprout according to nature's timetable, which means that some perfectly viable nuts are not sproutable (in practical terms) from the raw-fooder perspective. For example, macadamia nuts require 30-60+ days to sprout. Even if you could succeed in sprouting in-shell macadamias, the nut might be rancid/rotten by the time the root sprout appeared.

A fresh, whole, truly raw nut will be viable after harvest for a certain period of time. The nut can lose viability due to old age (rancid), excessive heating/cooking, or physical damage. It is clear that boiling, roasting, or frying a nut will devitalize it.

In order to get the nutmeat out of the shell, some are heated/boiled/pasturized and/or bleached to kill bacteria. Then in some- the nutmeats are treated with preservatives.

The following table sums it up:

A = viable and sproutable (alive and active)
B = viable but not sproutable, in practical terms(alive but
dormant/passive)
C = low or uncertain viability
D = not viable, not sproutable (devitalized)

Almonds, shelled, unblanched= A
Almonds, in-shell= A
Brazil Nut, shelled, unblanched= D
Brazil Nut, in-shell= B/C
Cashews, shelled= D (standard commercial nuts)
Chestnuts, in-shell= B/C
Coconut, unhusked= A/B (fresh, mature nut only)
Coconut, partially husked= B/C (immature (green) nut)
Coconut, husked= B/C (green/mature nuts)
Filberts shelled, unblanched= B
Filberts, in-shell= B (organic recommended)
Macadamias, shelled= B/C (depends on drying temperatures)
Macadamias, in-shell= B/C (depends on drying temperatures)
Peanuts, shelled, unblanched= A
Peanuts, in-shell= A
Pecans, shelled= D
Pecans, in-shell= B
Pine Nuts, unmilled= A (brown skin intact)
Pine Nuts, milled= C (no skin)
Pistachios, shelled, unblanched= C
Pistachios, in-shell= C
Walnuts, shelled= B/C (buy organic only)
Walnuts, in-shell= B (buy organic only)

Of course there are exceptions to every rule as there are some grower/distributors out there who claim that their nuts are raw and alive.
Ian
mysocalledknife
Columbia, SC
Post #: 156
I just shove mine the blender without sprouting them. How about you, Melissa?

:-)

This is interesting. I have always heard urban legends about cashews not being raw. The list above would place the following 2 nuts (in the shelled form) in the same realm as cashews:

brazil nuts
pecans

Both of the above nuts are used quite frequently in recipes with either milk, pates, or crusts to desserts.

As for the companies who claim that theirs are alive and kicking, it would be wise to familiarize oneself with 2 things:

#1 - the process that cashews, pecans, and brazil nuts go through to become devitalized

#2 - the process by which the aforementioned companies use that are in comparison/contrast to the companies in #1

Great stuff. Thanks, Melissa!!

Ian
A former member
Post #: 532
Interestingly enough, no mention anywhere about the dreaded enzyme inhibitors.
So.... I soak all of my nuts and rinse well to remove the enzyme inhibitors, even though it may not sprout or be viable. They will still have a great nutrient profile.

Seeds, for the most part, will be viable and sproutable after a good soak & rinse. Plus this greatly increases the enzyme activity, nutrient & protein content.