addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Just Food City Chicken Meetup NYC Message Board General Discussion › Heat and Chickens, Americanas

Heat and Chickens, Americanas

Alexandra F.
user 12719130
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 2
We lost Big Food Eater today :(. She was over a year old and the first lost of our 6 chicks that we got in April of last. Just went out to check on them in the evening and she was lying on her side with eyes closed and mouth closed. The chickens were panting today, but otherwise seemed active enough despite the heat. But now I'm worried and brought my other 5 chickens into our basement to cool off. They aren't panting in the basement and I gave them some cold yogurt and fresh cool water. Any suggestions on how to keep them cool. I don't really want to keep them in the basement for the summer.
Martha
marthalazar
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 55
You can fill an empty juice/water bottle with water and freeze it. Put that out in their coop for a little low-tech air conditioning. Fresh, cool drinking water will help. And let's cross our fingers that this heat will go away soon!

Martha