I know everyone is well aware of the curious current state of affairs our nation and our people seem to be facing due to the recent tragedies that fall into a pattern of issues that have been endured by us, our parents, grandparents, great grandparents, and so on.
I've listened to discussion after discussion after discussion about what we should be doing. I've also watched march after march and rally after rally that seem to repeat after every incident. Now don't get me wrong, these rallies and discussions are very commendable and are absolutely better than remaining absolutely silent. However organized & sophisticated problems need sophisticated & organized solutions that don't just provide a bandaid over an open wound.
Now I don't have master plan that I'm sure will end all of the issues we're facing, yet I do have a suggestion. I'm a simple man and I like simple explanations. So what am I saying ? Well one of the easiest and most impactful things we can do in my opinion is start taking a conscientious organized effort as a group to start spending some of our income specifically at local black owned businesses each month.
Now what exactly am I talking about ?
• For the next 7 months we want to create a goal as a group to spend at least $10,000 per month at black owned businesses in the Atlanta Metro Area.
• There are approx 2,500 people in this group. If everyone spent $5 dollars in August 2016 at a Black Owned Business we would have exceeded our goal. If 500 people who I know are active in this group spend $20 we'll make our goal as well.
Now how exactly will we keep track ?
• We're putting together a list of all the black owned businesses we know of in the Atlanta Metro Area. This data will be compiled in an editable google sheet.
• Now every time you make a purchase at a Black Owned Business in the current month all you have to do is add (via the google sheet or form, send a email, send a text message, yell at me with the info lol):
1. Add your name
2. Pick from the list of black businesses where you made your purchase (Or add your own -we'll verify and get back to you)
3. List the Date of the Transaction
4. List the $ Amount of the Transaction
Like I said SIMPLE.
Now considering Black buying power is expected to reach $1.2 trillion this year, and $1.4 trillion by 2020( according to the University of Georgia’s Selig Center for Economic Growth) $10,000 (or $120,000 annually) is just a drop in the figurative bucket. Black America's combined spending power make us the 15th largest economy in the world in terms of Gross Domestic Product, the size of Mexico based on World Bank data.
However we have to start somewhere and somebody actually has to start it, so WHY NOT US ??? Once we reach $10,000 a month we'll aim for $25,000 per month, then $50,000 per month then hopefully this thing will catch on and spread to "black folks" everywhere.
So we'll start this initiative officially on August 1st, 2016. Everyone who signs up will receive detailed instructions on how to submit their information for tracking then.
Also if your family, friends, colleagues are interested in our initiative that is FANTASTIC. We'll have an option for them to submit and track their information as well.
Finally, I'll leave yall with this. If you've never heard of Dr. Claud Anderson or read his book Powernomics then I urge you to. A lot of what I'm saying is directly related to this. Take a peek at a recent interview when you have the time.
Link to Dr. Claude Anderson's book Powernomics: Amazon Book Purchase Link