addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Louisville Area Canoe & Kayak Group Message Board Main Forum › Safety. Safety Safety time.....

Safety. Safety Safety time.....

Nate G
ShrekFirefighter
Floyds Knobs, IN
Post #: 110
Being out is great, but lets stay safe! Use these resources to learn as much as possible. Stay safe, and stay alive.

<p></p>

<p></p>

<p></p>

<p></p>

Nate G
ShrekFirefighter
Floyds Knobs, IN
Post #: 122

Time to see more about drowning machines. Stay the hell away from these! The discharge at Mcalpine, the lower spill way is a famous spot for this. It has a unique draw from up river. People going down river from the fossil beds get draw to it, then drown horribly painful deaths. I have personally recovered one such poor soul. During some water conditions this is the ultimate drowning machine. When the water is lower and there is flow, it is just as dangerous!!!! Stay alive, stay away.

Not only do people get killed by this, but by standards who try to help die, as well as first responders. Dont involve others in you needless death.
Nate G
ShrekFirefighter
Floyds Knobs, IN
Post #: 127
Cold Water Boot Camp USA was produced by the National Water Safety Congress under a grant from the Sport and Fish Restoration and Boating Trust Fund, administered by the U.S. Coast Guard. Cold Water Boot Camp USA takes eight hardy volunteers from across America and puts them into cold water to see what really happens.

No matter what you think about cold water, you can not survive this on your own. You must have on a pfd, or you will drown.

In water colder than 49 F 50% of all boating accident are fatal. Watch this 2 min video, to get a basic idea of the issue, then check out the full ten min feature film.

<p>

Full video below
<p>

This is the part I want you to remember, 1-10-1 rule.
<p>
A former member
Post #: 816
Thanks for the posts.
Doug
TellCityDoug
Louisville, KY
Post #: 30
Returned from a visit to Dale Hollow Lake recently. A sign posted at the ramp by the Corp of Engineers read:

"Currently 128 drownings have occurred on Dale Hollow Lake. Of those fatalities, 0 were wearing life jackets. Remember a lifejacket is like a seat belt, it only works when you wear it. "

Lost a non-kayaker friend last week at Patoka Lake, he wasn't wearing his either.
A former member
Post #: 740
Nate, Doug, Paddling mob:

Good time of year to know how potentially dangerous paddling on cold water/during warm weather, can be. Water..low 40's F.
Air temp around 70 at the start of the paddle.

Was on the Ohio, right across from the head of of 12 mile island.
Goofed around with some hard sculling moves and flipped.
Have a roll. Missed it several times and swam.
Stranded...outside of a fence, after letting my beloved CD Squamish go, just to get to shore, to find a fence blocking my way out.
(Squamish was found with my ARA diver's watch too). 30 miles downstream....past the locks at Louisville.
Beware...Be aware that warm temp paddles can go badly if one is not dressed for the water.

http://www.newsandtri...­

"Screaming", "Would have died".
Complete horse poop.
Was calling out / hollering to those just across the Ohio.
Would not have died, though was really cold, and would have survived until the morning, when would have gotten my ass out of there. Probably.
Need to say at this time, am grateful for the folks that came and got me out of there.
I had a pile of leaves that was under, about 4 feet tall.

A**hole reporters.