addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Louisville Area Canoe & Kayak Group Message Board Main Forum › Blue River Sunday Nov 3

Blue River Sunday Nov 3

Jim K
user 9599326
Louisville, KY
Post #: 671
Thinking about it.
CFS is at near 1600 now:
http://waterdata.usgs...­
....and depending on more rain or not... may be fun for Sunday.
Other's thoughts?
Jim K
user 9599326
Louisville, KY
Post #: 672
Nevermind...:)
Y'all don't crowd in here all at one time...Ok?...LOL
Jeez.
Thom M.
T.McLean
New Albany, IN
Post #: 85
Jim, I'm guessing with the cooler weather a lot of folks are stowing their boats and gear until spring. Of course, cooler weather hasn't stopped me and my wife from breakin' out the Bass Pro waders we bought last year and getting out on Lake Celina last Saturday. Love being able to wade into the colder water with the gear on and stay bone dry and warm..
Jim K
user 9599326
Louisville, KY
Post #: 673
Must be ....Thom.

About paddling and waders...I'm thinking that you are talking about tall neopreme boots and not up to your nipples fly fishing attire....:)

Tall waterproof boots are essential to paddling when the air and the water turns cold.
Best investment one can make if you intend to paddle year 'round.

Funny story on the same subject.

3 years ago went to quest to buy something for an oncoming late fall/winter paddle. Wanted the tall NRS boots but balked at the price...$70!!! Cheap Jim bought the short $45 ones and subsequently stepped in every darned puddle...stepped just so far into the water when launching...and portaging...that seemed to be precisely 1/2 inch above the waterline of the booties...whereever I was....:))

2 days later...back to the store for the tall ones....:)

Have since declared here and to others that tall boots are a completely essential tool for paddling when it turns chilly and you don't intend to let cold affect whether you paddle or not.

Glad to hear that you guys got out.

Thom M.
T.McLean
New Albany, IN
Post #: 86
Heh, actually I *do* mean the up-to-your-nips kind, LOL!
We bought light-weight waders for about $90 from BPro last November. Since we paddle probably 95% on lakes during the cold months where we can stay close to shore and have no current to deal with, the waders have worked out well. I figure that in the unlikely (but possible) event of a dump in the relatively shallow water within 10 ft of shore, the waders will keep me at least 60% or more dry and allow me to flounder/wade/swim to shore and change into the spare clothes we keep in a dry bag.

My testing in warm waters revealed two things:

1) Initially, the air in the legs/torso makes you float like a cork.

2) If you force your legs down, then the air pushes out the top and water pressure plasters the wader to your body with very little actual water coming in at the chest opening if you have the chest drawstring cinched and use the waist safety belt as well.

Underneath, I wear a pair of polyester/fleece pajama bottoms which provide a pretty warm insulating layer that doesn't trap moisture like cotton stuff.. On top I wear a synthetic underarmor style top with a fleece pull-over. The PFD goes on that. If it's a bit windy, I add a super-thin wind breaker under the PFD to stop the cold air from knifing through my insulating layers.

I'll see if I can link to a photo..

Bah.. Linking sucks, but there's a pic of me sport in' the waders on my profile page here on Meetup
Jim K
user 9599326
Louisville, KY
Post #: 674
Innovative!
...:))