addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

LA Robotics Club Message Board › Has this Club ever entered the "RoboGames" as a Team?

Has this Club ever entered the "RoboGames" as a Team?

Alex56782
user 17722901
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 1
Hi guys..... I'm new to this club, I have a question...... Has this Club ever entered the RoboGames formally (Robot Olympics).... as a Team? Next Years Event is some time in April or March I think; haven't seen the date at their Page yet.... I know Parts cost money $$$$, but if we share/"sacrifice" some parts, we can enter the competition, have fun, and meet fellow Robot enthusiasts from other parts of the globe...... the event can be selected once we have a dedicated team.smile
Annika O.
AnnikaSkywalker
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 16
I'm completely interested in competitions but it seems the varying skill sets make it hard to focus on projects of this magnitude. I think another issue is funding. I'm working on getting grants set up so that we can put together large-scale projects without being out too much in personal funding.
Alex56782
user 17722901
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 2
Its nice to see a Club Founder active; keep at it...smile
Michael M.
user 17871381
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 2
We are currently working on a sniper bot. We need to come up with the sensor for it though.
And an autonomous auto.
Alex56782
user 17722901
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 4
Hi, Michael Martin ...... In "You Tube" look up " Volts IQ Target Tracking" it shows that you dont really need complicated Hardware to do tracking.... The Volts IQ ran on the Microsoft Robotics Studio 1.5 (Current Version is R3), it used a Camera and the software did all the object recognition and tracking.... unfortunate the software is not available or at least I haven't found it YET..... I would like to use it for good use. Remember MSRS came out about 2006 when VS 2005 was out and we didnt have "Multi Core Processors".tongue In todays Tech., with Higher Level Languages able to program microcontrollers, and with Droid, and Apple Inc. starting to get into the microcontroller market, who knows what will be made.smile
Michael M.
user 17871381
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 3
That software is cool.
Do you know anything we can use for our Autonomous auto?
Alex56782
user 17722901
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 5
Ive seen YouTube videos on how some ppl., use "GlovePie" with "FAAST"(Flexible Action and Articulated Skeleton Toolkit ) , and the XBox 360 Kinect TO PLAY GAMES..... I havent tryied this yet, I have used GlovePIE to use a Joystick as a Mouse and made my costum buttons to cheat as rappid fire bottons. Some ppl are also using the Kinects to navigate a robot..... I hope this info get you started in the right direction.smile

As "demize2010" from YouTube stated....
"Once again this is only possible because of Evan Suma's work on FAAST at USC http://projects.ict.u...­
And Carl Kenners long time project GolvePIE http://glovepie.org/&...­

I know this isn't really Automotive related, but its worth keeping an eye on, because Microsoft is entering the Automotive Market; as far as I know they have 2 platforms....#1 its already in the 2011 Ford Fiesta "SYNC" a mix of MSRS and Windows 7, .... #2 its a 3rd Party Manufactor who is offers a CPU hardware sys to be placed in an Auto, it offers wifi, IE capability, USB2/3, Firewire, Costum design, 1yr support, Enginner Colaboration support, its Windows Based..........you can check Microsofts Website for more info.... its not cheap thou....tongue... would like to play around with that...cool

As far as basic IR LED detection/navigation, and other basic robot navigation, theres plenty of users and info on those subjects, but I hope this info set you to the right direction......smile
Michael M.
user 17871381
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 4
The sniper bot is on hold. We are working on a line follower. I have purchased a robot kit to start with and we have a gas powered RC card donated for our build. We want to enter robo games. We meet at American Honda in Torrance. If anyone would like to be part of the team please email me.
mikemartin @ techie. com just take out the spaces.