Please vote in the poll above only if you plan on attending the book club meeting.
For April we voted to read two selections:
"I Capture the Castle" by Dodie Smith
"In The Land of Invisible Women" by Qanta Ahmed
(You only need to read ONE selection, but you can read both if you choose).
What Is A Book Club?
If you have never attended a book club, please watch this YouTube video, which explains what you can expect: http://www.ehow.com/video_4993153_book-club-meeting.html
When and Where Do We Meet?
We meet monthly, usually every 4-6 weeks, on Monday or Tuesday evenings at Buttercup Grill in Walnut Creek. On occasion, we instead meet on a weekend afternoon if a particular book has been made into a movie. We compare/contrast the movie versus the book over lunch after a matinee/early bird showing.
How Do You Select The Books That You Read?
Books are selected on a month-by-month basis by the book club members themselves, i.e. December books are nominated in November, and so forth. Sometimes, we select books months ahead based upon the movie release date of a particularly popular book being made into a movie. PLEASE NOTE: Long standing members are given preference to their book selections, and we decide as a group which books we will add to the poll for the next book club meeting. I compare the book selections against my Excel spreadsheet of past nominations to ensure that we do not have duplication.
What Happens If I'm On The Waiting List?
If you are on the waiting list, not to worry! I always let in more ladies than the set 15 person limit. Invariably, people cancel at the last minute, so the numbers balance themselves out. We usually have a steady attendance rate of 12 ladies per meeting.
Book Club Rules:
1. If you suggest a book, and your book is chosen, you MUST attend the meeting.
2. Active members (those who have attended three or more meetings) will have their book selections taken into consideration first.
3. Attendance is limited to 15 people.
4. Three strikes and you're out if you RSVP three months in a row and flake each time.
5. We vote on book club member suggested titles in a poll (see the 'More' tab at top of this page).
6. Voting ends the Friday of the week the book club has met (i.e. meet on Tuesday, vote by Friday for next month's book)
7. The two titles with the most votes are the two we choose to read (you only need to read one book).
8. Please be courteous about other people's reading selections and suggestions.
9. We socialize for a bit (introductions, etc.), place our orders, and then split into two groups to discuss each of the two books.
10. There is no cost to attend, except for whatever you order to eat/drink + tax and tip. Buttercup is happy to give us all separate checks and only your check is your responsibility. Please take responsibility for paying your bill.