Do you love to read? Are your part of the LGBT community? Are you interested in reading books with LGBT themes while meeting new friends in the community? Join our book club! This a new meet-up group started to connect LGBT women of all ages in the Twin Cities area who share a love of reading.
We meet on the 3rd Tuesday of the month at various libraries in the Twin Cities area.
Unwanted paperback copies of books we read in book club will be collected after discussions for donation to the Women’s Prison Book Project: https://wpbp.org/
After book discussions, you are welcome to join us for drinks and conversation! It helps us get to know each other on a personal level, not just what we though about the book.
Occasionally, we have a “bonus” activity where we hang out without discussing a book. But, at it’s core, we are a book club. I suggest attending a book club meeting before joining in at a bonus event.
- We read books with LGBT themes, focusing on queer women, usually by female authors.
- We try to choose books about 3 months in advance.
- I send out an email with a poll about once every three months. We all vote for our top three picks.
- If there is a tie, we just have books chosen for an extra month or two.
- You are always welcome to suggest a book that meets these guidelines!
- You are welcome to attend book club no matter how far you've gotten in the book. Most people finish the book, but there are always a few who could not finish. Sometimes, we have one or two who haven't even started!
- We read books of all genres.
- If you did not enjoy the book, no problem! We have a great time discussing what we did and did not like about particular works. It is usually more fun if there are different opinions. Do not be afraid to share what you thought, as long as you are respectful.
- It is your responsibility to get the book.
- I will periodically remove inactive members.
- I will periodically remove members who only attend bonus events and do not attend book club discussions. We are primarily a book club. There are many other groups that focus on social activities.
- If you RSVP and do not show up for an event 3 times, or change your rsvp to no less than 24 hours before the discussion, you will be removed from the group. I rely on actual numbers to reserve space. If you have a concern about this guideline, please feel free to message me.
- Members must use preferred name and picture of themselves to be accepted. This is for safety reasons!
- I keep this book club as low cost as possible. However, it costs about $15 a month to organize the group. Donations are not required, but certainly appreciated. I volunteer my time organizing because I love book club!