addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Las Vegas Writers Group Message Board › Has anyone published an e-book via Amazon/Kindle?

Has anyone published an e-book via Amazon/Kindle?

A former member
Post #: 2
I've been giving it serious thought wrt my novel -- the agent rejections keep piling up and I've decided, after a few more rounds of queries, to maybe give it a shot. But I am curious to see if any other members have tried this path to publication. I'm not aiming to be the next Amanda Hocking but there's a part of me that says, What do you have to lose?

A former member
Post #: 3
My book is available in traditional bound, Kindle and PDF formats.

My royalties for the electronic versions of my book are steadily increasing. When I got my last royalty statement, I saw that my royalty for eBooks was about three times the size of the royalty for the print edition. That doesn't mean that I had three times the sales, however, because the actual royalty for the eBooks is MUCH bigger than that for the print edition.

My royalty for selling one eBook is about ten times larger than the royalty for one traditional book.

If you want to go that route, my advice is to:
1.) Get your book professionally edited (one person cannot catch every mistake)
2.) Copyright your manuscript
2.) Get an ISBN
3.) Submit to Amazon, using their rules.
--mike,
A former member
Post #: 5
Mike, thanks. Forgive my ignorance but how does one go about getting an ISBN?
A former member
Post #: 4
Mike, thanks. Forgive my ignorance but how does one go about getting an ISBN?

http://www.isbn.org...­
A former member
Post #: 4
Hi Tom,
I have my book published in Kindle, also, after paperback. At the moment, I am using Smashwords to publish my second ebook.

Bowkerlink.com also sells ISBN.

Mike, Good advice. What's the name of your book?

Jackie Pias Carlin
A former member
Post #: 6
Thanks, Jackie. Perhaps there's hope for me yet.
Morgan St. J.
MorganStJames
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 60
Hi Tom,

All of my mystery books are available in Kindle from my publisher. However, I did self publish "Women on the Edge" in Kindle because it is hard to sell a single author anthology to a publisher. It isn't that hard to upload. However, instead of using Word, you are better to set it up in Open Office which you can download free if you don't have it. Why? Because the justification and formatting is easier on that program (spaced better) and you can save it as Word. The sales have not been earth shattering, but I admit I haven't promoted it as heavily as my other books---until last week. I listed it at $2.99, but have a special price of 99 cents until April 2. They give you complete directions, so be sure to follow them so you don't have glitches.

I discovered that you really have to have all the ebook formats, so last week I sequestered myself and learned to format it for Smashwords. It's a free upload and listing, and if your book conforms to their most stringent standards, it will also be listed on many ebook bookstores in their preferred program. They will even give you a free ISBN number in preferred. I had to reformat it three times because they are sticklers, but I think I nailed it this time. It is also available for 99 cents until April 2 with the code TT89P. Smashwords has a huge manual, but it is a good education if you format it yourself. I printed it out so I wouldn't have to toggle back and forth online. Bottom line, I was pretty jazzed that I learned how to do it.

Good luck. You're right. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Check out "Women on the Edge." You can preview the first 20 pages Women on the Edge - Smashwords ebook

MORGAN ST. JAMES
www.morganstjames-author.com
www.silversistersmysteries.com
A former member
Post #: 7
Thank you for the tip, Morgan.
It looks like I have plenty to learn about all this newfangled e-publishing stuff in the coming weeks and months.
A former member
Post #: 12
May I add a light touch re simpler times. Some of you are too young to have experienced this, but there was a time when manuscripts were submitted via an Olivetti typewriter with plenty of whiteout available to correct those errors. I traveled that route. But was it really so simple? How about when you discovered that paragraph on page three should be the opener!!! Today it's a snap to make the change. I hope my old Olivetti is enjoying life where all good typewriters go, but I'm glad it's not on my desk in front of me right now. These new techniques open new opportunities. Good luck!

Louis Kleber
A former member
Post #: 2
All of my books are available as Kindle, eBook and paperback nationally and internationally with the exception of one which is Kindle only. Electronic editions do well but must be promoted just like any other book.

The Kindle edition of Writers' Tricks of the Trade just released today, and the new Silver Sisters Mystery, Vanishing Act in Vegas, should release in Kindle and eBook sometime next week.

Kindle editions and eBooks should be given the same editing and attention as a paperback. Don't be tempted to publish poorly formatted or unedited titles. Regardless of the price, the quality should be top-notch.

Morgan St. James