Go is often called the language of the cloud. For this workshop, we will learn firsthand what makes Go such a great fit for networked services by building a JSON API in Go. The workshop will show you the best practices for writing an HTTP server, how to handle JSON, and how to get started writing Go for the cloud.
Go to our EventBrite and RSVP! http://bit.ly/JSONapiGo
- A laptop preferably with some flavor of Unix
- Familiarity with the command line
- An installed editor (Visual Studio Code is recommended. It's free and good. https://code.visualstudio.com/)
- An installation of go1.10
What to Bring:
- Your laptop
- Charge cord
- A desire to learn
Things to Accomplish:
- Build a JSON API that responds to HTTP requests
- Connect the API to a database
- Add middleware for logging and authentication
Eno Compton is a Developer Advocate at Google, and daily works with his favorite language -- Go! He has a background in classical Chinese and Japanese, but has for the past five years worked as a software engineer building single page apps, mobile clients, and backend systems in half a dozen different languages.