I'm back from South America and ready to resume hiking in the Bay area. This hike in the East Bay hills is a repeat of a hike we did last year, hopefully with cooler weather. It takes us though beautiful redwood trees. The planned route is about 6.4 miles. It is mostly shady. There is one short steep uphill stretch, some ups and downs, and a few level sections. Well behaved dogs are welcome.
• Take Redwood Road east of Skyline into the Oakland Hills:
- From the North: exit 1C Carson Street/Redwood Road off Hwy 13
- From South: exit 1 off Hwy 13 and drive north on Carson until you reach Redwood Rd, turn right
• Go past Piedmont Stables, Big Bear Staging Area, and MacDonald Staging Area and enter at Redwood Gate on the left side of the road (< 15 minute drive from Hwy 13, about 20 minutes from 580)
• A fee is required, or you can arrive early and walk in from Redwood Road.
The planned route is: Stream Trail - Bridle Trail – Orchard Trail – French Trail – Tres Sendas – Stream Trail.
Here’s a link to the park map: http://www.ebparks.org/Assets/_Nav_Categories/Parks/Maps/Redwood+map+south.pdf