addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
L
whothehellcares
San Quentin, CA
Post #: 7
Anyone have good advice on how best to deal with this. I'm in great shape, but blister formation is the "achille's heal" (pun intended, and yes, it is my heal where they form.) for me on longer hikes like this group takes. Thanks!
Deborah
user 13293696
Group Organizer
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 6
I just noticed this posting, hence the delayed response. The first thing I would try is new boots. If that's not an option, I suggest taping the ankle in advance, e.g. with Mueller's Tape. Blister bandaids can be helpful, especially if applied at the first hint of a blister. Once a blister has formed, whether popped or not, I like to use 2nd Skin; this really cushions the wound. Happy hiking.

Deborah
L
whothehellcares
San Quentin, CA
Post #: 8
Thanks very much Deborah. Those are great suggestions that I intend to try. One thing I discovered in my subsequent research that comports with your new boots suggestion is that any extra room in the back of the boot that allows your foot to move around will create heel blisters. My foot is narrow where it meets the wall of the back of the shoe, so I have been shopping for shoes that are narrow in the back to keep my foot from lifting/moving. Thanks again and I hope to see you on the trail soon! -Lisa
Deborah
user 13293696
Group Organizer
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 7
You might also look into inserts that stick inside the heel area of your shoe to help fill the gap.
L
whothehellcares
San Quentin, CA
Post #: 9
Great idea as well. As my shoes age and their lining thins I think I will custom cut some moleskin foam to fill the space. Blisters are so painful I got religion now about being proactive. Thanks again.