Buy the turkey early this year and then join us in Bedford-Stuyvesant, the city's largest African-American community, whose population already far exceeded that of Harlem by the mid-1970s. This neighborhood is especially known for its residential row houses, which include some of the finest examples from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Among other locations, we'll visit the city's oldest public high school building, some gorgeous brownstones, and the birthplace of the teddy bear (yes, it was invented in Brooklyn!).
This is the first paid event for this group, so please bear with me (pun intended) as I try to make this as smooth as possible. You may pay in one of two ways:
- Meetup recently started using WePay to process payments. You can use that system to pay directly via Meetup using a credit card.
- To pay by PayPal, just go to paypal.com and enter my e-mail address ([masked]) as the recipient. Make sure to indicate your screen name as it appears on Meetup, since otherwise I might not know who the payment is for.
Here are a few other points:
- All fees must be paid in advance; you can not pay at the event.
- Please pay when you RSVP. A few days before the event, I will remove people who have not paid.
- If you are on the waitlist, take note when you are moved onto the "attending" list and pay at that time.
- If you have to cancel, make sure to do so at least 24 hours before the event's start. Refunds will be handled in accordance with this group's refund policy, which can be found at http://www.meetup.com/Lets-Explore-New-Yorks-Neighborhoods/pages/LENYN_Payment_and_Refund_Policy/.
I'll send out the details (including the meeting location and my phone number) according to the following schedule:
- If you pay by Tuesday, November 18, then you'll receive an e-mail with the details on that date.
- If you pay later that week, then you'll get the e-mail within 24 hours (but no later than midnight the night before the event).
If you are on the waitlist, then remember to check back regularly, since people will be added to the attending list until 11:00 pm on November 21. No-one will be added after that time. If you are on the waitlist but can no longer attend, please change your RSVP status to "no."
If you are on the "attending" list and have paid but haven't gotten the e-mail by the specified time, then feel free to contact me directly. (Go to my Meetup profile page and click "send message.") Please do not ask for details on the discussion board. I check my e-mail regularly up to the morning of the event. Thanks!