The PCT through hikers left from the Mexico boarder and will hike over 2600 miles to the Canadian boarder over the next however many months it takes them. Some of them may be reaching this 500 mile mark by this holiday weekend. Let's go be Trail Angels and provide food and drinks for those on the trail.
What is a Trail Angel? Watch this short film:
The photo below was taken from this website, including a journal of a mother daughter team that hiked the PCT last year: http://sierrapct.blogspot.com/2012/05/day-37-sawmill-campground-to-highway.html
Sawmill Campground is located up past Lake Castaic (about three hours north of Riverside). It has eight camping sites that hold both tents and recreational vehicles up to 16 feet long. The sites have vault toilets, picnic tables and fire pits. You need an Adventure Pass, but there is no camping fee. To get to the campsite, you must drive five miles on a dirt road. It is passable by car.
1) Please be flexible, plans will likely change as we make decisions as a group.
2) Fri. arrive at camp. Enjoy a campfire and meals on your own.
3) Possible hikes for Sat. & Sun.:
- campground to Fish Canyon trailhead. This is an 11-mile RT signal track out and back trail with 3300' elevation gain. The trail is in fair condition for the first 2 miles with nice views and mostly shaded trail. Will drop down to a seasonal creek. Becomes badly over grown with a few washouts.
- campground to Bear Campground approx. 11 miles on the PCT RT.
- campground to Burnt Peak 7 miles RT 800’ elevation gain.
- campground to Upper Shake Campground on PCT 6 miles RT.
I will provide sandwich makings and drinks to leave in a cooler for PCT thru hikers that may come by while we are on the trail. Please feel free to bring anything you would like to contribute. On Sat. night, we will have a potluck at our campsite.
4) Sunday: I am leaning towards leaving after a hike on Sunday, but am open to staying if that is what the group wants.
Here is the location: 27 miles northeast on Lake Hughes Rd. nw on Pine Canyon Rd (CR N2) then 10 miles nw on Sawmill Mountain-Liebre