addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

London Atheist Activist Group (informal community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › Rowan Atkinson speaking about Reform Section 5

Rowan Atkinson speaking about Reform Section 5

Adrian
KingHell
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 299
Rowan Atkinson is a fervent supporter of ReformSection5.org and explains why he thinks it's so important.

Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 397
Fine words by a cool fella.
Very good to watch & hear, thanks Ade.
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 278
Brilliant!
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 279
Tell me, who was the stupid, ill-informed, unintelligent dick-head responsible for creating a Law which removes free speech?

I'm insulted by his stupidity. He should be arrested.
A former member
Post #: 37
You can't call him a dick head! This would be offensive to dick heads the world over.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 789
You can't call him a dick head! This would be offensive to dick heads the world over.

Oh what a classic, nice one Roger!
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 282
You're right! A dick is a noble and upstanding organ of human anatomy.

I think I'll call that ignorant turd a 'penile drip' instead. Or do you think that dumbass wanker should be called something more insulting? What's beneath an estate agent ... let me see, 'politician'.

Hold on a mo' ... someone's banging on my door.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 1,152

Former HM Inspector of Constabulary, Lord Dear, persuades the House of Lords to back his amendment deleting “insulting words” from Section 5 of the Public Order Act.

Peers voted for the amendment by 150 votes to 54, a shock defeat for both the coalition government and the Labour opposition who opposed the reform.

The House of Commons must now approve the amendment and has its first opportunity to discuss it on 14 January 2013.

But FANTASTIC NEWS! Looks like MP's have given up trying to fight this ....Jan 15th ...

Dear RS5 Supporter,

We are delighted to report that the Home Secretary, Theresa May, has announced that the Government will not seek to overturn the amendment, put forward by the House of Lords, to scrap the term ‘insulting’ from Section 5 of the Public Order Act, 1986.

Speaking in the House of Commons on the evening of Monday 14 January 2013, the Home Secretary told MPs that the crime of “insulting” someone through words or behaviour – which once led to the arrest of a student for asking a police officer whether his horse was gay – is to be dropped.

We welcome the Government’s decision. It is the culmination of intense efforts by the campaign’s supporters and team alike. Whilst it is victory for the campaign, above all, it is a victory for free speech in the United Kingdom.

People of all shades of opinion have suffered at the hands of Section 5. By accepting the Lords amendment, the Government has managed to please the widest possible cross-section of society. They have done the right thing and we congratulate them.

Thank you again.

Yours faithfully,

Simon Calvert

Adrian
KingHell
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 396
This is excellent news and just goes to show that, even without leaving the comfort of your own home, you can make a difference by signing an online petition or just being counted in any way really. If nothing else it gives confidence with the more active to move forward, knowing they're not alone.

Now all we need is loads of t-shirts insulting the person who originally included that phrase in the draft legislation (for release after the reform obviously!) <evil laugh>
Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 609

Peers voted for the amendment by 150 votes to 54, a shock defeat for both the coalition government and the Labour opposition who opposed the reform.

Great news indeedlaughing

I'm off to check which of the 54 Lords voted against reform.
Before looking, I'm prepared to bet that ALL of the 'Lords Spiritual' would have been against.