addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

London Atheist Activist Group (informal community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › You WON'T wake up to a Mormon US President!

You WON'T wake up to a Mormon US President!

A former member
Post #: 698
They're neck and neck at the moment. Both sides predict victory. It's going to be a cliffhanger.

If Romney wins, with the Republicans in control of both the White House AND Congress, expect a new war within a year (every president has to have his own war - the military-industrial complex demands it; Obama didn't launch one, but he had to continue the ones Bush started), an attack on gay rights, an attack on abortion and women's rights, an attack on the poor, tax cuts for the rich, and a further increase in the teaching of creationism and more funding for "faith-based" groups.

If Obama wins, the Tea Party lunatics will go into overdrive. If you thought they were insane during his first term, just imagine what extremes they'll go to in a second.

Be afraid. Be very afraid...

Alex D
SeeksTruthNboobs
London, GB
Post #: 178
And America wonders why it is losing power & prestige and ceasing to be the world's dominant superpower... dickheads.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 865
How backwards will we have gone if this happens....shudder, I don't even want to think about it.

Well here's an article that made me laugh, albeit in a scared way. I've met Romney and he's a dick
A former member
Post #: 699
How backwards will we have gone if this happens....shudder, I don't even want to think about it.

Well here's an article that made me laugh, albeit in a scared way. I've met Romney and he's a dick

Very funny article!
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 348
Ooooh. I'm a rootin' and a tootin' for Romney!
Just think of the abuse that you could throw at those (poor) yanks if he gets in power.
...and he's bound to cock-up their economy. So I guess 'God' won't help him much.

I'm wondering why Obama is so keen to stay. The US economy is under soooo much pressure right now. Why is he volunteering to be the fall guy?
<Thinks...>
It's America. The answer is always 'Money'.
<FX: Penny drops>
Oh of course! He's a politician. He doesn't give a damn. He's going to be a billionaire when he's done.
Even richer than Blair.
A former member
Post #: 700
Oh of course! He's a politician. He doesn't give a damn. He's going to be a billionaire when he's done.
Even richer than Blair.

Can't agree there! You can't compare Obama to Blair. Blair is a crooked, right wing sociopath allied to evangelical Christians and arms dealers, and a friend to middle east dictators. Obama has tried his best but faced a Republican controlled Congress who've voted against virtually everything he put forward in his first term. Naturally, any president wants a second term, regardless of the state of the economy.

The issue isn't what Obama's going to do when he's done. My immediate concern is what will happen in his second term. The Tea Party maniacs made every obscene threat and comment under the sun in the last four years. I dread their behaviour in his second term.
A former member
Post #: 701
Phew! Mitt Mormoney lost.
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 356
Sorry - I was being flippant.
I'm pleased Wrongney didn't get in too.
Last thing we want is another religious nut in charge of the US armed forces.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 867
Sorry - I was being flippant.
I'm pleased Wrongney didn't get in too.
Last thing we want is another religious nut in charge of the US armed forces.

Yes definitely a B-I-G sigh of phew all round, though I must say Obama's remarks about 'insult' to Mohammed being blasphemy and equating it to the holocaust has made me doubt his sanity and sincerity too (can't find the actual quote unfortunately). If he was 'merely' pandering to the religious then it's just as bad.

Also he appointed Francis Collins as head of the National Institute of Health. Though at first glance Collins seems eminently suitable (former head of the Human Genome project), he is also an evangelical xtian. Amongst his gems include a book called Language of God, which Sam Harris describes as intellectual suicide. In it he describes how god's plan included evolution, but then it gave us free will (which of course being made of sin) we choose to use to break the 'moral law'. This is just the tip of the nonsense he espouses, and that such a man could be in control of the largest budget on earth for health research is just scary. But I guess maybe Obama had no choice but to appoint him and maybe Collins was (unbelievable as it sounds) the lesser of the evils?!

In any case, Obama is still an almost immeasurably better option than Wrongney eh?! How telling that in an international poll, the only country that apparently wanted Wrongney to win was Pakistan. Well of course we see the irony that they're enemies, since their outlook and right wing extremist 18th century views and M.O is pretty much identical. One wonders what hysterical stuff the republicans are going to dream up now...and 49% voted for them, so Obama winning still doesn't exactly give us much hope that America is getting any more rational?
A former member
Post #: 5
Talking of being rational, was it just me who turned on the radio this morning and found myself say the very inappropriate words, "thank God".
Such phrases are so ingrained in our culture even as atheists we seem to find ourselves saying them.
Suggestions welcome to rid us of such inappropriate sayings.