addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

London Atheist Activist Group (informal community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › Pregnant woman dies after being refused abortion

Pregnant woman dies after being refused abortion

A former member
Post #: 705
Fucking sick.

The death of a woman who was 17 weeks pregnant is the subject of two investigations at University Hospital Galway in the Republic of Ireland.

Savita Halappanavar's family said she asked several times for her pregnancy to be terminated because she had severe back pain and was miscarrying.

Ms Halappanavar, a 31-year-old dentist, was refused because there was a foetal heartbeat. She died on 28 October.

An autopsy carried out two days later found she had died from septicaemia.

Her husband, Praveen, told the Irish Times that medical staff said his wife could not have an abortion because Ireland was a Catholic country and the foetus was still alive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...­
Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 465
Hi Hamid,

(I haven't checked yet, but I will).

I think that the abortion would have been refused under the Eighth amendment of the Irish Constitution. Since 1983 all abortion has been illegal in Ireland. The doctors would have been powerless to act - whether they wanted to or not. The 'rights of the foetus' are deemed to be greater than that of the mother.

Ireland is regarded as a 'third world' country, of course. This kind of thing shows why.
A former member
Post #: 706
I knew that. I don't understand why her husband didn't take her across to the UK to get the abortion, as others do.
A former member
Post #: 53
So the medical staff, in avoiding killing a foetus that had no chance of survival, allowed someone to die who was presumably otherwise healthy, could have gone on to lead a long and full life and perhaps even have more children. Faith.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 885
So the medical staff, in avoiding killing a foetus that had no chance of survival, allowed someone to die who was presumably otherwise healthy, could have gone on to lead a long and full life and perhaps even have more children. Faith.

Seems to me the Irish constitution and/or the catholic church should be sued.
Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 466
I, too, don't understand why her husband didn't simply get her out of the country, Hamid.

The wording of the constitution 'allows' abortion if 'the life' of the woman is deemed to be in peril; however, if only 'her health' is affected, an abortion cannot be carried out.

We can bet that the promised 'inquiries' will dance around this 'grey area' for ages, at some cost and end up doing nothing at all.

One less dentist in the Republic and plenty of smug politicians and Catholics, no doubt.

The referendum on abortion roughly came down to two-thirds wanting to keep the ban. It's a travesty that someone who didn't vote in it has now died because of it.
A former member
Post #: 54
Presumably she was too sick to travel? A prisoner of a system that held on to her until she died.
A former member
Post #: 707
God is love etc.
A former member
Post #: 55
That's absolutely right! God so loved the little sick foetus that he allowed the mother to die in agony so that, er... so that...?
A former member
Post #: 708
That's absolutely right! God so loved the little sick foetus that he allowed the mother to die in agony so that, er... so that...?

This is rather apt.