addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

London Atheist Activist Group (informal community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › Good news as CofE votes against women bishops

Good news as CofE votes against women bishops

Adrian
KingHell
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 326
yes it's good news because it shows the church to be what it is: a bronze age private club of old boys with a bunch of rules to go with it. This should make a lot of women leave which is good news for us (although I bet loads won't). Best outcome to illuminate the hypocrisy :-)
CHERYL K.
user 9335524
London, GB
Post #: 453
I agree. Lots of women atheists don't, because, like me, they are feminists too. But I think the more fossilised the church, or any major religion, becomes, the more it will become sidelined, shown up for what it is, an anachronistic embarrassment to those xtian women who have some sense of dignity about their gender and done many mental gymnastics to square it with their beliefs.
Women should stay out of a cult that has always made them number two gender. And still does. I always say to people who say stuff about the awkward theory of women's subservient status to men being the secret feminine power that is equal to the overt power of men, sorry, mental gymnastics, I always say "If you can't stomach your own religion, get out of it". And also, god, being omniscient and all that, should not be resorting to cultural relativism to keep his worshipping hordes to heel.
Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 482
Good news, indeed.

Apparently it has taken the CoE 12 years to get as far as this vote. I understand that the matter can't be voted on again for 'at least another five years'.
It would seem that the die-hards are prepared to let the church endure another five years of ridicule rather than allow women to 'progress within the organisation'.

Ladies, they don't like you and they don't want you.

A mass (pun intended) exodus (pun intended)? I'd love to see it, but...

Adrian
KingHell
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 327
I think that the reason they voted against it is because the CofE is really the C of Everywhere Else: mainly Africa - and they simply won't stand for women bishops. So I think it's third world damage limitation. After all religion in ideology and politics...
A former member
Post #: 57
I confess, my feminist hackles rose for just a few seconds at the news, but then my atheist shoulders shrugged & I thought, who gives a flying? A difference of opinion in the madhouse is not of any great import.
MyTime_ThisTime
user 3399980
London, GB
Post #: 174
I think that the reason they voted against it is because the CofE is really the C of Everywhere Else: mainly Africa - and they simply won't stand for women bishops. So I think it's third world damage limitation. After all religion in ideology and politics...

Sadly, I reckon you're right. It's more about maintaining control over post-colonised patriarchal Africa. The catholics and protestants are still controlling the masses, and islam's been on the increase for a while too.

I'm hoping that the African mindset can change soon, but ...

I guess it's a bit like an obese person trying to lose weight. It's always quicker and easier to gain the weight than to lose it. How long d'ya reckon it'd take to lose 12 stone after a lifelong obesity? As we know, fad diets don't work. Fads just mean you take on another eating problem - like switching from christianity to islam.

It's got to be a sustained programme, with very slow weight loss to work successfully. How long d'ya reckon it'll take to lose 400 years of weight gain, especially when Mickey D's refuse to shut up shop?

No excuse, but a reality nonetheless. Sadly.

Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 382
Where in the Bible does it say what a Bishop is?
It's all man-invented rubbish.

CofE Statement: "We think that our sheep think that God thinks that women can't think like our Bishops."
A former member
Post #: 58
"Women bishops: Church has 'lost credibility' says Rowan Williams"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/...­
You have to smile, don't you?
Steve
lawlorsteve
Purley, GB
Post #: 838
Petition
remove the right of the Church of England to have automatic seats in the House of Lords
No women Bishops, no automatic seats in the House of Lords

Responsible department: Cabinet Office

The Church of England on 20th Nov 2012 voted not to allow women to be Bishops. Though that is within its rights to do, this should worry the Government as Church of England Bishops are awarded legislative power through seats in the House of Lords.

The Church has chosen to be a sexist organisation by refusing women the right to hold highest leadership positions and therefore should not be allowed automatic seats in the House of Lords, as this clearly does not comply with the spirit of UK Equality law.

We call on the Govt to remove the right of the Church of England to have automatic seats in the House of Lords, in line with its commitments to equality and non-discrimination, set out in the Equality Act (2010) and the Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination Against Women (1979)"

Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 913
Thanks Steve, I signed it ...though of course the bishops shouldn't be in the HoL anyway regardless of whether the chuch alloows women bishops or not. But any reason/angle to bring the issue of automatic bishops before the public and politicians is a good idea...most of the public don't even know I reckon.

Of course as Adrian said, it's all good that the CofE is showing their true hand with regards to ethics ...still deciding on bronze age bigotry rather than reason, equality and empathy,... just like the Catholics and Islam. It's only going to sign the death warrant for religion all the sooner .