addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

London Atheist Activist Group (informal community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › Good news as CofE votes against women bishops

Good news as CofE votes against women bishops

Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 486
Nice one, Steve.

I've signed too.
The CofE needs to understand that there are consequences for actions and inactions.
Alex D
SeeksTruthNboobs
London, GB
Post #: 207
There are of course other e-petitions on this topic. Past ('closed') ones seem to have garnered only a few hundred signatures (surely that can't be true - maybe there's others my search didn't pick up?), though this one seems to be trending at the moment - 300 signatures in the past hour.

However I'd have thought that if this petition is to stand any chance of making it near the 100,000 magic threshold rather than just sticking at a few hundred or thousand of 'the usual suspects' it needs to be aggressively spread via every relevant membership organisation, facebook group and twitter - atheists, humanists, secularists, feminists, anti-discrimination groups - and even other religions! I'd also think it's essential to act while the iron's hot. But I'm new to this game of social media campaigning...

Does anyone have any other thoughts? Contacts of groups who may not already be acting on this?
Adrian
KingHell
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 328
And they're off... even the CofE is now criticising itself. Implode implode!!!

Women bishops: Church has 'lost credibility' says Rowan Williams

Although I prefer my headline:

Man in a dress criticises church for not letting women wear them too
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 386
People that regularly attempt one-way telepathy with alien beings shouldn't have any role in managing the country - whether they are endowed with or without the Y chromosome.

---

I've been listening to The Right Rev. Richard Edwards waffling on about this vote. He was unqualified to take part as he works with others who, although they believe in the same god, nevertheless are considered to praise the Lord the wrong way and are therefore damned to an eternal life-after-death in the fires of Hell.

His workmates in the Roman Catholic church think the same of him.

He maintains that this vote will make the church stronger. Although some of the members may leave, he expects the average number of placid sheep-like members to increase. Thus the average gullibility index of CofE members will rise giving the church hierarchy more power. This effect supports his assertion that God moves in mysterious ways to support his church.

His workmates think he's mistaken, and quietly sneer at his stupid assumptions as to where God's loyalty is.

God, as usual, will only clarify his position to the winner if The Right Rev. Richard Edwards and his workmates fought to the death (or at least until one-side converted).

The Right Rev. Richard Edwards has renewed his membership of the local martial arts club just in case.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 915
There are of course other e-petitions on this topic. Past ('closed') ones seem to have garnered only a few hundred signatures (surely that can't be true - maybe there's others my search didn't pick up?), though this one seems to be trending at the moment - 300 signatures in the past hour.

However I'd have thought that if this petition is to stand any chance of making it near the 100,000 magic threshold rather than just sticking at a few hundred or thousand of 'the usual suspects' it needs to be aggressively spread via every relevant membership organisation, facebook group and twitter - atheists, humanists, secularists, feminists, anti-discrimination groups - and even other religions! I'd also think it's essential to act while the iron's hot. But I'm new to this game of social media campaigning...

Does anyone have any other thoughts? Contacts of groups who may not already be acting on this?

This is the main problem Alex, that all secular organisations are just not working together. The old guard seem to be virtually hostile towards each other for the sake of the 1% of differences rather than working together for the sake of the 99% we do all agree on. Not very rational, nor an appealing trait to show to people who would might think about leaving religion. I think AtheismUK have tried, and it's something that CLHG and ourselves are also working on to try and change by example. But you're right that it'sd make a huge difference if all members of groups also took some active interest ... being a bit bolder about sharing these petitions on FB etc smile
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 387
Although I prefer my headline:

Man in a dress criticises church for not letting women wear them too
biggrin

Women and men wearing the same dresses to a formal do?
Adrian
KingHell
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 329
You could say in terms of representation that we are just 1% of the 51%. We need a lot more cooperation and to work together with other group to avoid the voicelessness of a fragmented approach. Religious groups get on the news because they count all their members, whether active or not. We don't get a proxy though for all the non-religous people so even if we're 100,000 we won't be getting on the news according to an ITN New correspondent I met after the Dan Barker event. We need to be much more organised and pragmatic or we'll just be talking to each other forever and never change anything.
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 390
How many people in the UK don't sing praises to alien entities?
I think we can quote several million UK inhabitants in that group.
Alex D
SeeksTruthNboobs
London, GB
Post #: 211
This is the main problem Alex, that all secular organisations are just not working together. The old guard seem to be virtually hostile towards each other for the sake of the 1% of differences rather than working together for the sake of the 99% we do all agree on. Not very rational, nor an appealing trait to show to people who would might think about leaving religion. I think AtheismUK have tried, and it's something that CLHG and ourselves are also working on to try and change by example.

This seems to be par for the course unfortunately - I've seen the same in animal rights and conservation: groups expending significant energy slagging each other off instead of cooperating on the common cause - even going so far as actively undermining other groups in some cases (WWF). It's one of the reasons I quit working in conservation. Groups see themselves as rivals for limited resources (members, grants) rather than allies working for a common cause - blind to the fact that acting this way is putting their own interests before those of the cause they claim to be serving. Or think their approach is the only valid approach, to the extent that they portray other group's approaches as of no value or actively harmful rather than just less good - ignoring the facts that: this is just their subjective opinion; it would be most unwise to bet the farm on a single approach; different organisations have different strengths & weaknesses, and appeal to different funders; different approaches engage different supporters, so diverse approaches increase the total amount of effort you can bring to bear on the issue; different approaches mean you can attack the issue through multiple channels at once; etc etc etc. (I've actually had pacifist hunt saboteur friends of mine decry the ALF as counter-productive - admittedly possible - whilst claiming that old ladies writing letters to MPs is also worthless: that only non-violent direct action was valid. D'oh!)

But you're right that it'd make a huge difference if all members of groups also took some active interest ... being a bit bolder about sharing these petitions on FB etc smile

I've posted the link on that 'other' atheist meet-up group (from which I've yet to be banned, though 'encouraged' to leave laughing ), Central London Humanists (healthy membership but boards almost dead), and my Facebook feed (for those few friends I have left there who haven't already been put off by my incessant political and anti-religious posts)...

Any other suggestions? (I don't Twatter.)
Adrian
KingHell
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 330
What is rather curious is that although they won't allow women bishops they are quite happy for the Queen to be the head of the church. Hmmm.