addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

London Atheist Activist Group (informal community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › How many governments does it take to make legal u-turns on religious butchery

How many governments does it take to make legal u-turns on religious butchery

Adrian
KingHell
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 348
The Germans banned circumcision, then they didn't. Now Poland is going back on banning ritual slaughter. Why not just start selling funeral pyres and booklets on how to recognise witches!

Polish government to reinstate religious animal slaughter after court ban
Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 516
Once again we see just how scared governments are of the 'religious lobby'.

It always seems to me that our authorities will fight tooth-and-nail against just about anything except religious sadism. Governments seem to be saying, "Well, it's only religious bollocks, let 'em have it, it doesn't really matter."

The fact that it's 'only animals and they don't count' is always a great help, too, dont'cha find?
Rose
user 53882812
London, GB
Post #: 124
The fact that it's 'only animals and they don't count' is always a great help, too, dont'cha find?

I think that's pretty irrelevant here. As Adrian says, the Germans have backpedaled on circumcision, and baby boys aren't "just animals". Nor are the gays in California who could get married, and then couldn't.
Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 517
'Irrelevant', Rose?

Ade used the words '..religious butchery.' in his headline. His post linked to a news feature about 'Kosher' killing in Poland. The graphic picture in the article showed a group of children watching a Rabbi slit the throat of a lamb.

My reference to animals was 'on-topic' and entirely relevant.
Rose
user 53882812
London, GB
Post #: 125
Oh sure, it's on-topic! In cases where secular governments / organizations / societies kowtow to religious sensibilities, there is often animal cruelty involved. But my point was that the same behaviour can be observed when animals are not involved. It isn't a case of "they're only animals, so it doesn't matter", but rather "it's only religion, so it doesn't matter."
Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 522
But my point was that the same behaviour can be observed when animals are not involved. "

I accept your point completely, Rose.
Governments do perform all manner of 'about turns' and they do it all the time. Drug classification, same-sex marriage, ritual slaughter etc etc. You are right and I agree with you.

Ade's link was to a news story about 'Kosher' killing and my reference to animals wasn't irrelevant. Your input added greater depth to the discussion without negating my own.
Our debates here do often meander to-and-fro, but that's great. Ideas take on a life of their own and exchanges grow and mutate 'organically' - long may it continue, eh?

Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 428
Governments do perform all manner of 'about turns' and they do it all the time. Drug classification, same-sex marriage, ritual slaughter etc etc.
That's politicans for you. They don't sail the seas, they drift before the winds of public opinion. The church may not have the right morale compass but politicans don't seem to have any.

There's a huge hole between politics, ethics and philosophy. Can anyone else see it?
Barry R.
user 10723166
London, GB
Post #: 524
I can see it, too.

I'm one of the many who have become disillusioned with the entire political process.

PR is the thing, absolutely.
Our MP's seem to be watching the news to pick-up on the latest 'hot topics'. Sound-bites and buzz-words, that's all we get. Blair surrounded himself with academics, heaved the party to to centre/right, stole the conservatives clothes and changed the political landscape forever.

Jeez, we even had a sitting MP on a reality TV show a little while ago, didn't we??

cafenoire
user 4561156
London, GB
Post #: 15
let us not forget that although not always intentional there is a lot of cruelty in conventional slaughter and the rearing of farmed animals as standard practice. 95% of animals are factory farmed, even though labelled free range. the continuous repetition of killing desensitises slaughterhouse workers, many become sadists out of sheer boredom and frustration, leading them to beat and stab animals who refuse to walk the line. the red herring is, that when religious slaughter is done according to regulation it can be more humane than faulty captive bolt guns and fast production lines which often leave animals kicking and conscious. as an exercise check out what the koran says about pre-slaughter and compare this to non religious slaughter. ironically though halal meat can never be halal if killed on a production line.

the following is an interview with a non religious slaughterhouse worker.
-“How did the experience of working in a slaughterhouse compare with your expectations of what it would be like?”

-“A lot messier, a lot more violent, a lot more brutal. I didn’t expect the sort of conditions and cruelty that I seen there. And I thought, because we had quality control experts there and a veterinarian on staff…But they really didn’t seem to care. They were there for the money just like we were. And they just kept putting the product through — that’s all they were worried about.

You hear the animals scream, their eyes will roll back in their head, their tails will curl up, they’ll piss and shit blood. The conveyor belt was a series of paddles and a lot of times their skin would get caught in that and get torn open. So the animal was in constant suffering from the time it’s herded, to put on a truck, to the electro-stun. A lot of times the animal would still be kicking, still be alive, when its head and tail were removed, which is the next stage."

this is not to mention teeth pulling, castration, debeaking with no anaesthetic, coffin sized cages, infections, womb prolaspses, starvation, stress and the emergency slaughter of sick piglets by smashing their heads on the concrete, which is perfectly legal in this country.

cafenoire
user 4561156
London, GB
Post #: 16
see one of the kosher slaughterhouses with one of the most prestigious kosher certificates...kosher slaughter
see inside the british "humane" pig industry harling farm essex