addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
David S
hyponitrite
Shepperton, GB
Post #: 108
Here is a possible line of enquiry when using the Peter B method of non-aggressive confrontation.

I’m intrigued by the prevalent notion amongst the faithful that we each have a soul, even LAAG members! Respected scientists and others who believe this, postulate (without evidence) that there is a “Spiritual Realm” or “Dimension” in which the soul has immortal existence, and to which the methods of scientific inquiry do not apply.
My point is this: If my soul is located in a ‘spiritual realm’ and my body in the familiar ‘physical realm’, what happens when I move around? Is there a connection between these two ‘realms’ which enables my soul to remain attached to the rest of me?
If so, any connection to the physical realm must be accessible to physical methods of investigation.
If not, how can benign and evil acts conceived and executed in the physical realm be communicated to the particular soul in the spiritual realm? (It would be bizarre indeed if I should chuck a brick through a church window and by some error in transmission, the Archbishop of Canterbury receives an extra millennium in purgatory as a result!).
Similar arguments can be raised against spiritualists and their astral bodies and astral planes (why a plane instead of the usual three dimensional space?). From my formative years spent with Dennis Wheatley novels, I think they rely on a “Silver Thread” connection between the realms although I would not take the word ‘silver’ to mean the metal.
VI
Jason
SweynTUV
London, GB
Post #: 241
Dan Dennett characterises this as "The Casper the Friendly Ghost problem". How can Casper on the one had pass through walls and have objects that are thrown at him pass right through him but also be able to pick up any object he wants to. This is a fundamental problem for which dualists have no answer. Descartes came up with some nonsense about everything coming together in the pineal gland, but since that was discounted no-one has a plausible answer for how the ghost controls the machine.

Right Rev. Richard...
TheRightDickEd
Godalming, GB
Post #: 21
Ah! I see you are trying to apply human logic to what is clearly a supernatural issue.
If my soul is located in a ‘spiritual realm’ and my body in the familiar ‘physical realm’, what happens when I move around? Is there a connection between these two ‘realms’ which enables my soul to remain attached to the rest of me?
They do not 'remain attached' but rather are two facets of the same physical phenomena. The soul occupies a higher plane and is an extension of your temporal body here on Earth.

how can benign and evil acts conceived and executed in the physical realm be communicated to the particular soul in the spiritual realm?
They are one and the same thing.

It is rather like thinking that one side of a die (two dimensional) has a number, how can this be 'communicated' to the other sides of the die (three dimensional), all of which have different numbers and yet occupy a higher dimension, each invisible to the other.

As you can see we at CRETINS (‘Centre of Research into Ecclesiastics and Theology, Institute for Neo-interdenominational Sciences’) have been very busy using both our minds and souls to understand the true nature of the teachings of our Good Lord.

As a result we are to explain away whatever want, by using our own ancient scientific methodologies - i.e. we invent words and concepts in such a way that extensive circular reasoning always validates our original position.

It is our deep understanding of the 'higher planes of existence' which gives us holy priests insight into the true reality of God's presence, and enables us - of all denominations - to fondle and sexually abuse women and children in the knowledge that God doesn't really care (protection from that sort of stuff isn't in the Holy Bible) Furthermore being able to talk about 'higher planes of existence'. 'heaven', 'God's Grace', 'Souls' and 'sins' with confidence enables us to evade temporal justice too.

Basically, we sound like we know what we're talking about, and we do it so well we convince ourselves its true.

So you see, extensive knowledge of one's soul really does have tangible benefits.

Praise The Lord!
David S
hyponitrite
Shepperton, GB
Post #: 109
I have a confession to make!

I used to enjoy the struggle against religious obfuscation but now I strive to subdue those guilty of plane speaking.

VI
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 765
LOL - very droll.
Steve
lawlorsteve
Purley, GB
Post #: 935
Dan Dennett characterises this as "The Casper the Friendly Ghost problem". How can Casper on the one had pass through walls and have objects that are thrown at him pass right through him but also be able to pick up any object he wants to. This is a fundamental problem for which dualists have no answer. Descartes came up with some nonsense about everything coming together in the pineal gland, but since that was discounted no-one has a plausible answer for how the ghost controls the machine.

http://2.bp.blogspot....­

Talking of ghosts, there is an interesting article here:
There are many contradictions inherent in ideas about ghosts. For example, are ghosts material or not? Either they can move through solid objects without disturbing them, or they can slam doors shut and throw objects across the room. Logically and physically, it's one or the other. If ghosts are human souls, why do they appear clothed and with (presumably soulless) inanimate objects like hats, canes, and dresses — not to mention the many reports of ghost trains, cars and carriages?

Are ghosts real

Steve.