addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
A former member
Post #: 41
OK, so this is from an oldie pod-cast, but as I couldn't help myself laughing so much over this de-conversion story, it just had to be shared for the good of the cause.
Awesome caller at 25:00, the link will take you there.

De-Conversion Stories - The Thinking Atheist Radio Podcast #28
A former member
Post #: 30
Lol what a character .
Hi, Have you come across Evidence Jorge?
Its a long playlist describing the investigation leading to the authors de-conversation . Its very informative on more than just his psychology and the human interest story, actually goes into the history of the bible, signs of polytheism within it and loads more . Well worth a watch. really put together well, sorry no giggles though.
https://www.youtube.c...­
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 2,586
OTFG! I couldn't stop laughing. It's BRILLIANT when you get this kind of person (A 'redneck' as he described himself) who says "I can see the change (towards reason and away from religion)". If he can see a change in deepest darkest Tennessee, wow, we're really getting there. He is fantastic, challenging all the crap in a peaceful and non confrontational way. But I couldn't understand his moment of deconversion - listened to it several time - something about his father saying something about the overturned truck?

As ever, it takes people to NOT SIT BACK and let others do it, but to actually talk to their friends and family themselves too - challenge faith whenever we get a chance. The ripple effect is what makes the difference. If this guy can do it, we sure should be able to. If you need tips and/or confidence, that's what LAAG is here for - don't miss Peter Boghossian on Apr 27th "Y'all"biggrin We are privileged to have Peter happy to talk to us directly (He's a LAAG member :-)) so let's make the most of it.
Daniel
user 85062902
London, GB
Post #: 66
"Being good red necks they were probably intoxicated" ROFL

Seriously though an inspiring way to start the day. What a guy, reason can reach all. :-)

A former member
Post #: 46
But I couldn't understand his moment of deconversion - listened to it several time - something about his father saying something about the overturned truck?
I understood "hmmm, by george, goddam roll bars what saved'em.".
If it's so, it makes sense, a roll bar or sway bar is a torsion device that keeps vehicles from swaying too much or going completely out of control when they barrel roll.
His stepdad showed you don't need much more than basic knowledge of car mechanics to debunk a god-reached-down-from-heaven (tm) kind of miracle. And this was in Tennesse, like 30 years ago!
This is truly inspirational, if this can happen spontaneously, in a fire and brimstone kind of town, without outside influence, just think of what can happen when that spirit of critical thinking really gets put out there in general, for everyone to see.

I hope there is a god and I hope he takes questions!
This is awesome. I'm gonna use this, like, all the time.