addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The London Atheists Meetup Group Message Board The London Atheists Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em . . .

Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em . . .

Closed to new replies

Sue M
sue.mayer
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 3,173
In another thread it was written:

"To me it is UNACCEPTABLE to arbitrarily censor discussions and/or criticise someone in a negative way because their contribution to the cause is different from what is expected. Even if a single person doesn't agree entirely with another's position, we are all in it together for a single purpose." my italics.

In writing the above the writer seems to be under the misconception that this group is a public body - It is not.

It is a group specifically for atheists who support an open and clearly defined profile. (See' Pages' tab above.)

It is facilitated to cater for the views of positive atheists - that are largely censored or suppressed - by making them 'unacceptable', 'unwanted', 'counter-productive' and unrepresented by most secular humanist organisations or groups.

There are already groups for humanist and atheists that claim to be 'open to atheists of all shades of opinion' and I hope that positive atheist take part. But I wonder why anyone would think that they have the right to turn this into another such Atheist Group Mark II or IV - if not to subvert its current purpose?

'Strident' or 'staunch', 'aggressive', 'abusive' 'militant' 'extremist', 'fundamentalist' - words often used by humanists do denigrate atheist such as Richard Dawkins et al. Scientist, writers and thinkers who have raised the profile of atheism as the modern wisdom.

It is not difficult for any intelligent person who is politically savvy, to understand how an organisation or group can be taken over and fundamentally changed - e.g. to or from a 'pressure group' to a bland middle of the road organisation, (as happened to the BHA in the past) and then take over other particularly if they have substantial resources - often to be seen in political groups and sects where it is called 'Entryism'.

Big fleas have little fleas upon their back to bite 'em.
Little fleas have lesser fleas, and so on infintum.
Anon

A former member
Post #: 12
Hello Sue M,

Are you OK...?

Do you attack religious groups with such venom.?

I get the impression you hate humanists, timid atheists, agnostics, more than you hate region and their supporters.

I don't spend my time attacking those that have similar views to me,, because I have identified my enemy,, but it seems you have not.

Kieron

Sue M
sue.mayer
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 3,176
To write of me: "Do you attack religious groups with such venom.?" shows that you have not bothered what has been written on read most of the issues that I and the rest of the members who post here are doing all the time in criticising and opposing religion along with the reasons. - only those who want more wishy-washy confusion and amateur philosophising.

Your impression that "I hate humanists, timid atheists, agnostics, more than you hate region and their supporters". is because you don't seem to understand that just chanting "good without god' with those who do not like to attack religion on the basis of the evidence.

You can't even read what I have written:
"THAT THERE ARE MANY VALID REASONS WHY PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO CRITICISE AND OPPOSE RELIGION THEMSELVES, BUT THAT IS NO EXCUSE FOR THEM TO ATTACK THOSE OF US WHO DO"

How many more times do I have to repeat it?

I attack anyone who attacks the positive atheist stance that this group is here to support, they hamper and distract rational argument to a childish degree.

Traitors to a cause are always seen as the most despicable, because they don't even have the courage to explain why, if they are, they are against religion.

A former member
Post #: 166

You can't even read what I have written:
"THAT THERE ARE MANY VALID REASONS WHY PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO CRITICISE AND OPPOSE RELIGION THEMSELVES, BUT THAT IS NO EXCUSE FOR THEM TO ATTACK THOSE OF US WHO DO"

How many more times do I have to repeat it?

How disingenuous - you wrote that in the same post whilst also belittling someone WHO DID NOT DEFEND RELIGION, nor IMPLY IN ANY WAY THAT the rest of us SHOULDN'T. How many more times do WE have to repeat THAT?

Traitors to a cause are always seen as the most despicable, because they don't even have the courage to explain why, if they are, they are against religion.

'Traitors'?? - LOL, how melodramatic. No Sue, it's just a simple disagreement, not a coup. An atheist being afraid of it - or using the cowardly way of deleting it - how ironic?? This is not about having to agree, nor - hush my mouth 'positivity' - but about civility - using terms such as pathetic, mewling ... so unnecessary. You see traitors everywhere, and turn off people who would otherwise have been onside and active.
A former member
Post #: 4
"In writing the above the writer seems to be under the misconception that this group is a public body - It is not."

Apparently this group is not for all atheists after all.

So I'm not sure what the membership criteria are. Are they published somewhere? Did I miss them?
A former member
Post #: 5
Oh and...

"Big fleas have little fleas upon their back to bite 'em.
Little fleas have lesser fleas, and so on infintum.
Anon"

Someone here is a smaller flea than someone else?
Tut tut. ;)
Sue M
sue.mayer
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 3,180
Martyn:
"Apparently this group is not for all atheists after all."

I have never claimed that this group is for ALL atheists. It is not for atheists who do not want or are hostile to the criticism opposition to religion and other forms of superstition and supernatural beliefs and practices.

"So I'm not sure what the membership criteria are. Are they published somewhere? Did I miss them?"

Yes you missed them. Though I have given the location several times.

Perhaps if you bothered to read the profile (see Pages tag on menu above) you might understand that this is a space for those who want to develop atheist ideas in a world where near 99% of the population are religious and their attitudes, dogmas and practices dominate human cultures and politics, with all the evils that come with sectarianism and superstition -

And IMO we won't get anywhere unless at least some positive atheists have the guts and intelligence to challenge religion, with reason and evidence - not just spouting the rhetoric of "Good without God." like some meaningless magical mantra.

----------------
Ginny - you call me disingenuous then write:
you wrote that in the same post whilst also belittling someone WHO DID NOT DEFEND RELIGION, nor IMPLY IN ANY WAY THAT the rest of us SHOULDN'T. How many more times do WE have to repeat THAT?"

... I note that you did not actually quote what I actually write and the context - only your interpretation, that I have come to realise is your habit.
----------------------
There are plenty of forums for atheists and they are not all the same, including some humanist ones.

I would be interested to know what reaction you get on those sites, if you are really such staunch atheists! Though it is not difficult for anyone - religious or not - to agree that people can be 'good without god'. But that's not the point. But if it satisfies you. . . . . . why bother with this one?
A former member
Post #: 173

Ginny - you call me disingenuous then write:
you wrote that in the same post whilst also belittling someone WHO DID NOT DEFEND RELIGION, nor IMPLY IN ANY WAY THAT the rest of us SHOULDN'T. How many more times do WE have to repeat THAT?"

... I note that you did not actually quote what I actually write and the context - only your interpretation, that I have come to realise is your habit.
----------------------
There are plenty of forums for atheists and they are not all the same, including some humanist ones.

I would be interested to know what reaction you get on those sites, if you are really such staunch atheists! Though it is not difficult for anyone - religious or not - to agree that people can be 'good without god'. But that's not the point. But if it satisfies you. . . . . . why bother with this one?

Sue,

I don't have time to answer to answer this properly today - however I want to say that I do not want, nor have wanted to waste time clashing with anyone - particularly not another atheist.

I think I have been amongst the most active posters on this site, and have valued it - and because of that I have previously tried a couple of times to sooth waters where others have clashed with you by trying to find common ground between people - and frankly, have only been bonked on the head for my trouble. Perhaps you misunderstand me or my motives for some reason.

As I said I will answer properly later, but I agree that there is room/need for more than one kind of atheism site to cater for different needs. The only other one at the moment in London is woefully inactive. People can belong to more than one group for different needs - and indeed the more atheism sites the better.

Some us of are starting up such a site - which I hope you will support tacitly at least, because we are on the same side even if we disagree on a few details.

Sue M
sue.mayer
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 3,187
Yes I wondered how long it would be.

I'm sorry if I have spurned your invaluable peace making, advice and wisdom gleaned from such wide experience, let's hope you make a splash in this muddy pond and don't find it gets a bit boring or difficult at times.