addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

The London Dungeons & Dragons Meetup Group Message Board › Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG (On Haitus)

Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG (On Haitus)

Edward S.
user 41663772
London, GB
Post #: 70
Our Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG game is looking for players. I'm planning to run Sailors on the Starless Sea Sailors on the Starless Sea as soon as we get enough players, so please post on this thread if you're interested.

What is Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG: The game is part D&D retro clone (under the open license), part reimagining. It is different enough from D&D to be possibly a turn off for some players, however I've been reading the book and I think it offers an really interesting exploration of the themes and history of old school D&D. It also has some of the best art work and, for want of a better work, ‘fluff’ that I’ve found in any game book published after 1990, but I digress!

The two major differences that are worth stating here firstly the magic system, which is more unpredictable, and secondly the inclusion of Luck as an ability score (I've never played WHFRP properly but I understand the Fate Points system may be roughly analogous). There are plenty of other difference including the character funnel of which there is plenty written about online.

Here's a bunch of reviews to wet your appetites:

http://grognardia.blo...­

http://www.enworld.or...­

http://www.britishfan...­
WarBoss
catmaster
London, GB
Post #: 677
Empty
A former member
Post #: 649
Sounds great, If you generate enough interest I might even buy a rule book, and participate.

I'd love to play a quirky wizard etc. I loved WFRP and how deadly it was, but very emersive, due to the danger and real fear you felt for your character much more so than most DnD games.
A former member
Post #: 1
My wife and I might be game depending on the scheduling. We got to try it for about half a session at Gencon and it was fun. We love old school Dungeon Crawls.
A former member
Post #: 651
Also if you give me a while I wouldnt mind gming if you want a break, and want to play??

A while to read the rules etc that is.
Edward S.
user 41663772
London, GB
Post #: 71
Hi James - that's cool if you want to GM. My many objective was to give the system a go. Happy to be a player rather than a GM.
Francis
user 9481145
London, GB
Post #: 262
I'd be interested - I've wanted to try the system out for a while. Are there quickstart rules anywhere?
Edward S.
user 41663772
London, GB
Post #: 73
I'd be interested - I've wanted to try the system out for a while. Are there quickstart rules anywhere?

Great to hear you're interested. There isn't a quick start rules doc I'm afraid - I'm pretty sure Goodman Games don't produce one and while there are third party products, none offer a rules intro. The book is a bit of a slab, however, depending how a game is run, you start with a bunch of level 0 characters and develope the survivors through to a class so the rules are gradually introduced as you go along.
A former member
Post #: 656

If you search for it on Scrbd, there is a cheat sheet uploaded, that I will be printing off if I run the game.

What days are best for people it will ahve to be a Sat or Sunday. And Sundays are best for me.
Simon N.
Simon_Newman
London, GB
Post #: 2,692

What days are best for people it will ahve to be a Sat or Sunday. And Sundays are best for me.

Probably easiest if you can continue on from Edward's Lordless Lands' current schedule, which would be Sunday fortnightly starting on 14th September. It looks like there is currently room on Saturdays too, though.