addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

The London Dungeons & Dragons Meetup Group Message Board › Tyranny of Dragons - 5e open game - Saturdays from 1.30 @ The Ship

Tyranny of Dragons - 5e open game - Saturdays from 1.30 @ The Ship

Closed to new replies

Mira M.
miramanga
London, GB
Post #: 7
Walk Through The Fire (Elementals)

Recovered from Dain's sticky mess, we once again gathered around the teleporter.

Time to choose another button and continue our exploration of this tower. The teleportion device was a marvel, and the Tower itself was a gorgeous construct. Such a shame it had fallen into the hands of the cultists.

“The star!” I insisted this time, and so we gathered together and were whooshed upstairs to a brightly lit room with a huge glass lens for a roof and a large telescope.

“Ah the observatorium!” observed Malkanis incorrectly.

Unfortunately we were also to discover that the observatory was already occupied. “Here we go again” I sighed as more dragon cultists and mages began attacking us.

Lorog hurled a javelin and everything went crazy. One of the cultist mages remained expressionless as he threw a frost cold attack spell at us, Baltazar parried with a ray of frost and then we were all fighting for our lives.

Finally, we beat out the bad guys and I scampered up a nearby ladder to investigate the glass ceiling. Malkanis followed me and touched his charmed sword to the lens. I looked at him disbelievingly as it shattered all around us. We slowly descended the ladder.

Back on solid ground I was delighted to see that Baltazar had somehow been reunited with his faithful familiar Athena. I took this as a good luck omen as I picked glass splinters out of my clothes.

Someone had rifled through the belongings of our defeated foes and discovered an hourglass key! Ahh! The way to the elusive hourglass room? We picked our way through glass to the teleport pad and were off again.

The candle grows low as I write this, so I shall have to cut short the details of our derring-do..suffice it to say that in the hourglass room, we were confronted by terrifying fire and earth elementals.

Lorog threw himself recklessly into the fray, and Dain was inspired by the blood lust and followed his leave. I see everything that happens in these battles but I am sure our barbarians just see red mist.

Turook our orc doesn’t like fire. “NOT LIKE FIRE!” I hear him yelling from across the room. Some of us are actually set on fire, but we managed to extinguish each other thank goodness.

From one battle to another, and MORE elementals. The details blur, but I remember Malkanis stepping from the teleporter with a pillow in his hand. I took it gratefully something to smother flames if I was ignited again..! I know I can’t have dreamt that he showed up with a pillow because I have it with me even now as I write…but that was weird.

The last fire elemental we encountered, I believe Kerranin took down..he smote that hot headed enemy and extinguished all light from the flame of his existence. Although he is a bit brainless when it comes to his Dragon Rage, he is a very clever cleric. I think him stopping the mages from casting spells on us by casting a holy silence upon them probably saved our skin!

Ahh the candle is fluttering out..I must end.

- excerpt from the journals of Fickle Silvershield, 1st day of Highsun

Euchale
user 189139102
London, GB
Post #: 4
-- Did some minor corrections --

Recovered from Malkanis's sticky mess, Malkanis once again gathered around the teleporter.

Time to choose another button and continue our exploration of this tower. The teleportion device was a marvel, and the Tower itself was a gorgeous construct. Such a shame it had fallen into the hands of Malkanis.

“The star!” Malkanis insisted this time, and so Malkanis gathered together and was whooshed upstairs to a brightly lit room with a huge glass lens for a roof and a large telescope.

“Ah the observatorium!” observed Malkanis incorrectly.

Unfortunately Malkanis was also to discover that the observatory was already occupied. “Here we go again” Malkanis sighed as more Malkanis began attacking Malkanis.

Malkanis hurled a javelin and everything went crazy. Malkanis remained expressionless as he threw a frost cold attack spell at us, Malkanis parried with a ray of frost and then Malkanis was fighting for his live.

Finally, we beat out Malkanis and scampered up a nearby ladder to investigate the glass ceiling. Malkanis followed Malkanis and touched his charmed sword to the lens. Malkanis looked in disbelieve as it shattered all around Malkanis. Malkanis slowly descended the ladder.

Back on solid ground Malkanis was delighted to see that Malkanis had somehow been reunited with his faithful familiar Malkanis. Malkanis took this as a good luck omen as Malkanis picked glass splinters out of Malkanis's clothes.

Malkanis had rifled through the belongings of Malkanis defeated Malkanis and discovered an hourglass key! Ahh! The way to the elusive hourglass room? Malkanis picked his way through glass to the teleport pad and was off again.

The candle grows low as Malkanis writes this, so Malkanis shall have to cut short the details of Malkanis derring-do..suffice it to say that in the hourglass room, we were confronted by terrifying Malkanis.

Malkanis threw himself recklessly into the fray, and Malkanis was inspired by the blood lust and followed his leave. Malkanis sees everything that happens in these battles but Malkanis is sure our Malkanis just sees red mist.

Malkanis our orc doesn’t like fire. “NOT LIKE FIRE!” Malkanis hears him yelling from across the room. Malkanis is actually set on fire, but Malkanis managed to extinguish each other thank goodness.

From one battle to another, and MORE Malkanis. The details blur, but Malkanis remembers Malkanis stepping from the teleporter with a pillow in his hand. Malkanis took it gratefully something to smother flames if Malkanis was ignited again..! Malkanis knows Malkanis can’t have dreamt that he showed up with a pillow because Malkanis has it with Malkanis even now as Malkanis writes…but that was weird.

The last Malkanis we encountered, I believe Malkanis took down..Malkanis smote that hot headed Malkanis and extinguished all light from the flame of his existence. Although Malkanis is a bit brainless when it comes to his Dragon Rage, Malkanis is a very clever cleric. Malkanis thinks him stopping Malkanis from casting spells on us by casting a holy silence upon Malkanis probably saved Malkanis's skin!

Ahh the candle is fluttering out..Malkanis must end.
Mira M.
miramanga
London, GB
Post #: 8
On Whirlwinds and Papercuts…

At the end of my last rather hurried entry, I did not mention that things began to take a turn for the macabre.

With our foes defeated we noticed a gruesome trail of blood leading off down a tunnel into darkness. “They’re going to want to follow this trail,” I thought to myself fretfully. Sure enough with barely a discussion we began to follow the gory path into the darkness. I shuddered but stuck close to Turook and tagged along.

When we came across a set of steps I stealthily set off to tiptoe down them and investigate a doorway. Softly pressing my ear to the door I could hear a great gusting sound of wind and I quickly ran back to my companions.

“It sounds windier than Turook after a week on orc rations,” I relayed, “Perhaps there are air elementals in there? We’ve fought against earth and fire, could that be next?”

We decided to open the door, hoping someone had simply left a window open but prepared for the worst.

We stepped into a wizard’s workroom. Beakers, flasks, crucibles and arcane paraphernalia cluttered the room. A messy room for a messy wizard. The source of the noise of the wind became clear, as we were confronted by a ten-foot typhoon whirling in the centre of the room. Spiralling and sparking in the centre of the vortex were seven tantalizing gems. Turook’s eyes gleamed with pleasure at the sight.

Baltazar unsurprisingly ignored the spectacle of a contained whirlwind full of jewels and took the opportunity to look over all the papers and notes he could see.

Wiznard our warlock cast a tentative mage hand and reached for a gem. Displaced from the airflow it smashed to the floor and as it shattered an Earth Elemental was suddenly in the room before us.

Winzard jumped back guiltily…and threw a hex and some spells at the creature, but we all knew this would not be enough, Turook waded in with his longsword hacking and slashing. I mocked the creature drawing it’s attention while Kerannin invoked a scroll of protection that would keep some of us safe from its blows.

Salazar whopped him with his giant battle axe, and Euraliar sent icy tendrils of frost while Baltazar burnt him with fire bolts.

With a roar, the Elemental staggered back and smashed into the tornado, displacing another gem that smashed to the floor. “No no no no no!” I whimpered as another menacing Earth Elemental zapped into existence looking just as angry as the other.

Kerranin chants wrought radiant damage to the newly arrived beast and Salazar’s axe seemed to take on a life of its own, dealing hefty blows.

It was then Athena flew into the maelstrom and displaced another gem. We watched wincing as a third gem seemed to fall in slow motion and disgorged an Air Elemental as it broke. No one was looking particularly enthusiastic about the gems any more.

Euraliar was building a wall of ice, concentrating intently on surrounding the whirlwind so no more gems would be disturbed. I watched impressed as he magicked solid blocks of ice that stacked and formed a frozen prison for the troublesome typhoon.

Kerranin’s expression was also intense and following his gaze I could actually see the effect of his radiant damage to one of the Earth Elementals. Light imploded and burst in bright beams from within the creature’s chest. Kerranin’s expression became beatific as it exploded and lay broken.

It was then that the Air Elemental launched itself at us with a blustering, howl and such force that everything became a blur. It engulfed us in its terrible, tearing grasp and battered and bludgeoned us with force. I tried to use my words to mock it but the wind whipped any that formed straight out of my mouth. As I stumbled backwards I saw Kerranin stride forward, cloak blowing straight out behind him and with a cry of “I BANISH YOU!” the creature simply disappeared from existence.

We all turned on the Earth Elemental, the air was thick with spells, and weapons hacking and slashing. Turook who had seen both myself and Wiznard knocked to the foor went into a rage and the floor shook as he launched himself at the monster. I was able to throw a song of healing at Wiznard and was elated that he was able to get to his feet and shoot me a shaky smile of thanks. That was all I noticed before the shambling Elemental smashed into me and all I saw were stars then darkness.

I woke to see a room empty of enemies. The last Earth Elemental a pile of rubble on the floor. Everyone was staggering around, patching themselves up and rifling through the contents of the room. Baltazar was feverishly gathering every scrap of paper and loading it into his voluminous magic bag. I sat rubbing my sore head for a while, before we set off again.

Once again, we prowled the corridors and everyone drew to a sharp halt when we walked into a corridor with no walls or ceilings…we were surrounded above and below by stars and space stretching into eternity. “Ooooooh!!!” I gasped feeling suddenly quite giddy. We all stood in silence staring, mouths agape and eyes wide. It was at this point that I felt the stirring of a song from within, Branchala blessed me and it was here that my composition “Corridor of Eternity” was born. None of us felt confident to cross the corridor, so we wandered back and instead filed into a quiet room with walls full of books.

All was calm and peaceful in this gorgeous library. In the centre of the room was a map showing some otherworldly plane of existence, I turned to ask Baltazar what strange place it was showing, but his whole face was one huge smile and Athena was flapping about excitedly. He had gone into one of his “book happies”. Worse than a bookworm was Baltazar, he’d disappear into his readings and research for weeks at a time if we didn’t physically haul him away from printed word!

I wandered over to the shelves checking for wizardly key books. This is the name I’ve invented for the books that either spring a trap or a doorway. They think they’re so clever don’t they wizards? But a lot of them actually use the same tricks. This was how I easily discovered two books that looked a lot more pawed at than the others. They opened up two doors…I grinned at my colleagues but they were preoccupied by a flapping of pages that had suddenly fluttered to life and were attacking us. Ahh. I’d forgotten this particular wizard’s defence. Damn it! Papercuts are the worst.

I will remember it as one of the most annoying battles of all time. We all managed to fend them off pretty well but in the end I was pretty relieved when Baltazar flamed them all to ashes. Turook got a bit singed but took it well considering!

I noticed the map hadn’t been touched in the least, it seemed wholly fireproof! I snatched it up and seeing it wasn’t really big enough to use as a cloak, I carefully folded it into a hat, and sat it proudly upon my head. At which point Baltazar looked up from the slew of books he was inspecting and remarked, “What a wonderful map you’ve just ruined” dryly.

We all busied ourselves looking through the bookshelves, and I was delighted to find a slim pamphlet all about how to negotiate with orcs. I tucked it into my knapsack as we moved off back into that magical corridor…..

– excerpt from the journals of Fickle Silvershield, 8th day of Highsun
- “Corridor of Eternity”

Marc
user 191404611
Greater London, GB
Post #: 2
Hi - sorry to jump in the middle of the thread. The short stories are great. My wife and I would like to jump in (maybe me first on Saturday, unless we can sort out our childminder), if you'll have us and if there's room. I've played a lot of different characters at time - happy to fill a gap if you have one.
Zander
afsimkin
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 652
Marc,

The Tyranny of Dragons is one of two open games on Saturdays; the other being the Orcs, Thousands of Them campaign.

While we do our best to fit newcomers to their preferred game, we can't guarantee it. All we promise is to find you a game.

You can increase your chance of getting the game you want by arriving around 1pm your first few times. Games start at 1,30. Your first time, please make yourself known to me when you get there.

As for characters, we have pre-gens you can borrow. If you're familiar with the 5e rules and want to play your own character, please create a 6th level one using point buy. We pretty much only allow Player's Handbook material and don't permit the more exotic races such as drow and tiefling and only begrudgingly allow dragonborns. We're also pretty niggardly when it comes to equipment, both magical and mundane (though we do allow new characters to have a few potions of healing and with the DM's approval, a common magic item).

Hope that helps,

Zander
Organiser and Saturday Host
Marc
user 191404611
Greater London, GB
Post #: 3
Thanks, Zander - very helpful. We'll be happy to jump into whichever game we can - I don't think we'll have a preference. I've only just ordered the PHB for 5e, just to get up to speed. I'm happy to use one of the pre-gens or to put one together on the day. Glad to hear too that it's relatively constrained. Rare races are rare and need clear in-game explanation as to why they are there, if you ask me. Looking forward to it.
Peter B.
user 186403591
Isleworth, GB
Post #: 1
Don’t Eat the Enchanted Snow

After leaving the library and falling though some kind of void I awoke on the edge of a snowy peek rather bruised but nothing life threatening, my comrades and I sorted ourselves out and after finding a cave we ventured inside to a large set of 30 foot stone doors and strange circle. After Kerranin and our other magic users studied the circle we noticed strange writings on the stone doors. Before anyone had a chance to translate I attempted to door the only to slip on some snow and bang my head on the floor(good thing Fickle didn’t see that she would never let me live it down) . After I tried the door again I found that even with my immense strength I couldn’t push the door open. After trying pulling the door handle I fell back having pulled the handle out of the door. Not the other end of the door knob was a strange shape like the third of a 6 point star shape. As it happened a 6 point star slot was inside the centre of the circle. Kerranin then explained the the writing on the stone doors( which was just a stone wall that looked like doors) was written in Dwarvish. He translated it into Common to say “WELCOME THEE OH PILGRIM BOLD, WHO PAYS RESPECT TO KINGS OF OLD, WITHIN THINE HANDS IN PIECES THREE, TO STEP BEYOND THOU HAVE THE KEY, OR LEAVE THESE HALLOWED HALLS IN SHAME, WITH NO ONE TO RECALL THINE NAME, GO FALL ALONE IN DARKNESS COLD, THINE SORRY FATE EVER UNTOLD”. (To put in simple Common “find the three pieces of the key to get out of here, its bloody freezing”).

We started down the mountains path until we came across a sloppy path. After hammering a nail into the rock side and tying a rope to it I volunteered to cross the path and secure the other end. I start down the path easy enough but about half way an odd wind blew up. As I was about to move on I felt something hit the side of my head (thank the gods for helmets). After shaking it off I looked around to find nothing in my way. After walking a few more paces two more hits struck me but again I could not see nor hear anything apart from the howling of the wind. I decided to retreat as I felt light headed from the strikes as a small fire or rather something on fire appeared on the path, an air elemental was blocking our way. After a short battle we defeated the elemental and after checking for any more we continued on the path (side note- normal sword was ineffective however Malkanis’s magical great sword seemed more effective, must get magic weapon when possible). When we reached the other end Kerranin noticed something in the rock face and found the second part to the key.

After a while we came across a narrow corridor. Malkanis and I decided to take point and after walking a way the ice seemed to shift its form and a large ice creature stood before us. After fighting for a while another ice creature form near the back close to the magic users. What followed next was a long and fierce battle in which Malkanis fell many times and Euraliar decided a LIGHTING SPELL WOULD BE MORE EFFECTIVE THAN A FIRE SPELL AGAINST AN ICE CREATURE we finally destroyed the creatures and after a bit of healing we continued on.

Finally we came to a large cavern. Carefully Malkanis and I walked each end of the cavern checking for sign of a trap. Reaching the other end the icy floor cracked and a large insect like beast emerged from the hole and attacked. After I sliced into the foul creature fire burst out of the gash I inflicted. After another beast burst from the floor we slashed and bashed the creatures as hard as we could until the one near myself exploded and I near fainted from the fire, however I was relentless and continued on till the second beast exploded and the battle was done. We found the final key piece, rested and made our way back to the top, formed the key into the circle and found ourselves back in the wizards library with Baltazar looking up from his book and saying “what took you so long”

excerpt from the journals of Fickle Silvershield written by Turook the Protector, 15th day of Highsun
Euchale
user 189139102
London, GB
Post #: 5
- The following story is supposed to be taken as fan fiction, as it was not approved by the DM -

After fighting off the creatures at the barn, the party made it's way back towards the road that leads to Waterdeep. It appears to be quite a busy place. Suddenly Malkanis screams and falls to the ground. A half-orc emerges from the carriage just behind the group and says:"You look like you are in need of a doctor. I am the world renowned surgeon Dr. Whipple and am willing to help you." Malkanis just replies:"I would rather die, before I let a half-orc treat me!" "I am bound by the vow I have made, and I cannot leave until I have treated you. If you want me to wait here until you die, then that is your decision, but I don't think your friends would appreciate it." Fickle, who has always been very supportive of Malkanis, told him:"You still owe me for that full-plate armor that I bought you, so I don't allow for you to die just yet. Let this doctor treat you, or I will be forever angry at you." Everybody in the group agreed, that they need Malkanis, and thus he was forced into taking the help. That he was in strong pain, might have been a factor too.
Upon hearing this, the doctor proceeded: "I suppose you have no choice but to trust me, where does it hurt?" Malkanis points at a spot on the middle of his breast plate. Dr. Whipple asked the group:"Can somebody assist me with this? I need someone like a nurse." Even though the group has been through a lot of gore, nobody of the group really wanted to help, as they were afraid not to be fit to the challenge. But then there was a high-pitched voice in the background:"Those wimpy normal sized people are always afraid when it comes to cutting up carcasses, let me help." Mim came into the foreground and the doctor smiled at the prospect of a halfling helping him. They undressed the bulky templar and found the spot that was hurting. "Have you had any other symptoms recently?" "None that I am aware of" "I will have to cut you open to see what is going on here. Mim, I will strap him down. Take one of the bottles labeled 'Gallowbrush' and give him one drop. Not more, not less." Upon getting the drop, Malkanis immediately became calm and was just lying there. His eyes were still open. "From now on give him one drop every minute. If he closes his eyes, skip one drop. We wouldn't want him to fall into a coma would we?"
-- warning, midly gross --
And then the doctor began with his brutal procedure. He cut the belly of Malkanis open and took a look around. He could see that there were some inflammation near the back of the stomach, but at the current stage he was unable to reach it. So he took all of the intestine in his way out of the body to reach the stomach. The picture that was presented to him was not very pleasant at all. He saw a big knot in the soft tissue that lies behind the stomach. It was black, with shades of purple. From previous cases he knew, that his will become a big problem if not treated properly. So he proceeded to cut out the knot as good as he possibly can, without hurting the tissue around it. After being done with this he made sure that there are no internal bleedings and put the intestines back in. As a final step he stitched the belly close.
---Warning end ---
"Mim you can stop now, I need him to wake up." As soon as the administration of the poison was stopped, Malkanis slowly regained his strength.
"What have you done to me? My pain is gone, but I still feel very weak."
"I would recommend to lay on hands on the wound in your stomach, to close it. I have cut out a piece of you, you will need some time to recover."
"But what is with my plan to stop Tiamat from returning? My party needs me!"
"You will be no use for your party in your current state. Rest and you will be able to join them at a later time. Right now you would just slow them down."
The doctor walked over to the pile of stuff that Malkanis was carrying around.
"Now for the payment. I adjust the amount I take on how rich somebody is. So a beggar will just have to pay a few copper pieces. But since you have a well fitted full plate armor, you seem to be very rich. I cannot find any valuables among your stuff, except the magic sword. Maybe we can strike a deal for this? I will take your place in the group and cut down your enemies with your sword. This would be a great deal for all of us, don't you agree?"

Zander
afsimkin
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 664
This campaign will be continuing as the Out of the Abyss open game. Please continue to use your existing character. I have started a new thread for the game.