This event is organised at UCL with support from London Futurists. A panel of speakers will be addressing the following questions:
• Will technological advancement lead to a more equal society, or to a less equal society?
• Is the Internet a divisive force or a unifying force?
• How important is the concept of "digital divide"?
• What role will be played by factors such as "frugal innovation" and "technological empowerment"?
• How should ongoing technological development best dovetail with the potential for social development?
The event is free to attend, but participants need to register in advance. Please use the event's EventBrite page (https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/techno-liberation-can-technology-contribute-to-social-equality-tickets-16132467645).
About the panellists
• Judy Wajcman (Author of Pressed for Time. The Acceleration of Life in Digital Capitalism, LSE)
• Charles Leadbeater (Author of We-Think: Mass Innovation Not Mass Production, NESTA)
• David Wood (Chair London Futurists)
• Marcos Cruz (Co-Founder of Syn.de.Bio and BiotA LAB, UCL Bartlett School of Architecture)
The discussion will be chaired by Jack Stilgoe (Editorial Board Public Understanding of Science, UCL).
About the organisers
The organisers of this event are:
• Klara-Aylin Wenten (Science and Technology Studies, UCL)
• Emilia Lischke (School for Public Policy, UCL)