addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

London Futurists Message Board Books/Media For Futurists › Human issues, H+ solutions

Human issues, H+ solutions

David W.
dw2cco
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 30
Recent discussion in this message board has confirmed in my mind the need for some new written material that does a good job of explaining transhumanism (H+).

I've now gone ahead and created the beginnings of a shell for such a book - which I am provisionally entitling "Human issues, H+ solutions". The proposed tagline/subtitle for this book is "Why the 2010s will be the decade of transhumanism".

My idea is that the book will be collaboratively written and collaboratively reviewed by the H+ community and by others who are interested in it.

The initial framework (with a few illustrative paragraphs of text) is available here. Note that people have to register on that site before they can access any material. (Registering will also provide you access to the UKH+ "Idea Torrent", which is located on the same site.)

Here's what I wrote as the rationale for creating this book:

>>>

Many books already exist that describe aspects of H+ (transhumanism), but none are fully suitable to be used to promote H+ thinking in the 2010s.

Ideally, there would be a short, attractive, memorable, impactful, credible book available that:

• All H+ supporters would be happy to recommend to their friends, colleagues, and acquaintances
  • Avoids undue hype, exaggeration, and easily-refuted claims
  • Provides crisp and compelling H+ answers to questions that people have in their minds
  • Shows H+ as being highly relevant in the 2010s
  • Contains attractive graphics as well as well-written text
  • Inspires people to take H+ much more seriously
  • Provides good pointers to "what to do next".

The book could exist both online and in traditional book format.

<<<

/// David W.
A former member
Post #: 337
This is a great idea - I am going to register and would love to contribute if I can come up with something profound enough!

One question is this going to be 100% pro H+ or are you going to be interested in the Cons as well, I think a book which provides both views instead of just another hype book could potentially be the most interesting.
David W.
dw2cco
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 31
This is a great idea - I am going to register and would love to contribute if I can come up with something profound enough!

I look forward to seeing any contributions from you - whether it's new text, or just some comments and critiques of what's already in place (which isn't very much ... yet)

One question is this going to be 100% pro H+ or are you going to be interested in the Cons as well, I think a book which provides both views instead of just another hype book could potentially be the most interesting.

It's intended to be convincing and persuasive, so it definitely will look at the drawbacks and criticisms, and will seek to answer them in a balanced and objective way!
Jonathan
Im-not-a-number
London, GB
Post #: 44
The idea seems interesting, so long as any potential profits are shared with the contributors, or donated to a worthy cause.

Now, I'm wary of any site that insists people sign up before using it, so I'll just add a quick thought here:

To talk of transhumanism seems to confuse ideas with idealism, and, at least to my mind, to imply that there are a great number of followers of some moral, philosophical or political doctrine; as is the case with atheism, optimism, communism, materialism etc.

Therefore, since I find that only some of the ideas discussed here are of interest to me, I could no more claim to be a part of transhumanism than a single water molecule could claim to be wet.
David W.
dw2cco
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 33
The idea seems interesting, so long as any potential profits are shared with the contributors, or donated to a worthy cause.

That's the plan. Specifically, the intent is that any profits are used to fund meetings and other activities of the UKH+ association.

Now, I'm wary of any site that insists people sign up before using it...

That's a fair comment. I know many other people have a similar wariness. In time, I may relocate the text to somewhere more immediately accessible.

so I'll just add a quick thought here:

To talk of transhumanism seems to confuse ideas with idealism, and, at least to my mind, to imply that there are a great number of followers of some moral, philosophical or political doctrine; as is the case with atheism, optimism, communism, materialism etc.

One thing I'd like to establish is a good definition of the word "transhumanism". This word already has lots of different connotations.

For me, the key point is that transhumanists believe in the radical transformational possibilities of the wise development and deployment of technology - transformations that can result in human life (both individually and collectively) that is very substantially better than it is today, possibly within only a few decades time.

But that definition is already too long for my liking. I hope that the process of writing and reviewing will help to sharpen things up!

For some related discussion, see my blogposts "The trend beyond green", "The single biggest problem", and "Predictions for the decade ahead".

// David W.
Technoshaman
user 10324587
London, GB
Post #: 26
David, what happened with the idea of the book?

technoshaman
David W.
dw2cco
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 93
George, I got very busy with my day job at the time, and the book writing suffered.

Since then, I have recently cut back my day job again (restricting myself to only about one week a month on average of consulting engagements). I have written 210,000 words of a new book (not yet finished), and I am incorporating some of the material from "Human issues, H+ solutions" in that.