SE1 8SW, London
*Price includes return train ticket*
This extraordinary hike is packed with pleasant surprises as we pass through farmland, woodland and famous historical sites.
Join us for a social adventure through scenic winter landscapes bursting with nature.
• Scenic hike in the tranquil countryside
• Experience diverse landscapes
• See the old chapel on St Martha's Hill with hilltop views
• Snap photos of nature
• Picnic with a friendly group
• Get inspired by beautiful surroundings
• Train trip to Chilworth in under an hour
• Hike & picnic in the countryside
• Pub drinks after the hike (depending on train departures)
• Rest your legs on the train home
Photos - All photos were taken by me from previous trips, so you will see these views on the day.
The route crosses the Tillingbourne stream which used to power a number of powder, paper and corn mills in the area. Part of the walk follows the Pilgrims Way, running from Winchester to Canterbury.
Approximately 9 miles which we will walk at a steady pace.
What to expect
1. The walk has several steady slopes plus a couple of steeper sections.
2. The paths across woodland and farmland can get quite muddy so stout shoes or boots are required.
3. We will be sharing a few of the fields with horses and cattle (if you're afraid of cows then you might want to give this one a miss).
4. We will need to cross a railway at an unsignalled footpath crossing.
5. There is one short stretch of road walking.
6. Approximately 4 hours of walking plus time for breaks and lunch.
7. A steady pace, with plenty of time to check the route and stop for photographs.
What to bring
Plenty of water, suitable footwear, cash (just in case), waterproof jacket, warm layers if it's cold, a packed lunch and snacks, you camera if you like taking photos and a flask of something warm if you have one.
What are the timings of the event?
Meet me at London Waterloo train station at 8:30am to catch a train together at 9:00am. We will need to change trains once during the journey and we will be due to arrive in Chilworth just before 10:00am.
Please consider yourself committed for the entire day. We will aim to get back to London Waterloo train station at around 5pm, but the day needs to be flexible. Please note that trains from Chilworth to London depart every 2 hours so we may or may not have time to go to the pub at the end of the walk.
What’s included in the price?
Your return train ticket and guided hike.
IMPORTANT NOTE: to RSVP "yes" you will need to pay £14.90 using PayPal.
The price does NOT include: your lunch, drinks or entrance fees to any attractions.
Terms and conditions
If you have signed up to the event you acknowledge the London Mini Adventurer Group Terms & Conditions.
Refunds are not offered for this Meetup.