Dear All.. I am planning to go to the Beltane Fire Festival in Edinburgh this year...over a weekend . They are celebrating 30 years !! (This will be my 3rd time to that festival.) .
Here's a video I made of my previous trip (2011).. It's become quite popular on my youtube channel and has had over 46,000 views since i put it up in 2012.
This is a personal trip.. that am doing.. and few of my close friends are planning to do it with me.. Exact details are still to be worked out.. depending on bookings/ finances/ B& B availability etc.
I am putting information here - links to various sites.. which you can use to plan your own trip.
If you are interested, do just hit `rsvp' and get any updates I send... and see if you like to coordinate your own trip with me & my friends.
(Note . I am NOT organising details/ host this trip or the event. You should make your own plans.. but you may like to coordinate your plans with some parts of our plan (me & my friend) ... travel together on coach, and/or meet us there and hang out a bit.. You are totally responsible for your full journey/ attendance/ finances . I will merely post information/ tips etc here).
I plan to do a bit of my own thing while in Edinburgh. ..as this will be my first weekend trip out of London in about 3-4 years!.
Calton Hill, Edinburgh, EH7 5AA
(Entrance by Waterloo place).
Gate opens at 8pm (sunday 30th April). Performance begins at sundown. Event ends at 1.30am (early morning of 1st May).
Event ticket price : about £8 (book in advance or get ticket on the evening for £10 - from Beltane Fire Society - see link below)
Beltane Fire Festival official website (for time/ address/ ticket purchase £8+)
Travel plans (potential)------------------
-Coach fun-fare advance price: (£12 + £12 each way) = £24 total - non-refundable.
Travel time (each way) - 10hrs+
National Express coach
B& B / Hotel--------------------
- you'll have to do your own searching and find/ book them..
- pre-booking a nearby Bed & Breakfast (or a hotel ) is essential.. That weekend is a bank holiday..so B& B's will get booked in advance.. Also some may only take bookings for the whole weekend..rather than just give you 2 nights...
Sometimes (as in my previous trip).. the B& B I used was atleast 15min night-bus journey away from Edinburgh town centre. So hopefully you'll have pre-booked B& B, worked out night bus details ...and arranged with B& B owner that you will get there late night..around 2-3aam in the morning!!!!!
Trip Itinerary (updated 1st March 2017) :
outward option 1*:
• Travel out on saturday 29th April. - take 9am coach from London Victoria (£12 approx) , and arrive in Edinburgh by Saturday evening 7pm. Check in to pre-booked B&B.. (night 1).
Outward option 2 :
Take coach on saturday night 29th April. Travel all night by coach. Arrive in Edinburgh on early morning of sunday 30th April. (this saves on B& B for saturday night...as there is NO B&B. you'll be sleeping on the coach!)
In Edinburgh - Sunday 30th April
• Have all day Sunday 30th day time to explore & relax. Attend Beltane festival that night 8pm to 1.30am (you can leave any time.. don't have to stay till 1.30am). Use buses/ night buses to get to B&B .. (tell B&B owner if you are going to return very late at night). Stay at B& B (night 2).
Return option 1:
• Get coach back - morning 11.10am (Bank Holiday Monday 1st May) from Edinburgh. Travel all day. It arrives in London that same evening at 10:20pm (cost £17).
* Return option 2*:
• Spend day time (bank holiday) Monday 1st May in Edinburgh. Take coach from Edinburgh evening 9.30pm- arrives in London next Tuesday 2nd May morning at 6.50am and costs approx £14) . (once we check out of B& B, we have to keep all our bags with us.. so pack accordingly).
ps. Once I have my tickets booked, I will confirm my own attendance. It's a case of balancing travel times, B&B costs..