Join us for a very special weekend as we trek the dramatic and famous Jurassic Coast UNESCO World Heritage coastline and visit the UK's largest seafood festival 🦀🥂!
Stretching 95 miles between Old Harry Rocks in Dorset, to Orcombe Point in East Devon, the Jurassic Coast – England’s first Natural UNESCO World Heritage Site – is the most geologically diverse coastline in the world. The exposed cliff sections allow us to look back through 185 million years of time; dinosaur remains have been found here, and it’s a fossil-hunter’s paradise.
On the first day of our trip, we're going to hike the Isle of Portland with its dramatic, rugged cliffs, hidden coves and stunning views. Our hike will finish in Weymouth’s historic and picturesque harbour at the famous annual Dorset Seafood Festival. With almost 100 stalls serving delicious fresh fish & seafood, the festival is a true gastronomic adventure for seafood lovers!
On the second day, we will do a strenuous but very rewarding hike from the famous horseshoe bay of Lulworth Cove to the pretty village of Worth Matravers with staggering views of sweeping bays, folded cliffs and richly coloured limestone-loving wildflowers and butterflies. This path is one of the highlights of the Jurassic Coast!
• Isle of Portland, the Jurassic Coast’s most southerly point
• Breathtaking clifftop views along the Chesil Beach and the Fleet Lagoon
• Church Ope Cove, Pulpit Rock and Portland Bill Lighthouse
• Dramatic views to the cliffs of Purbeck and Portland Harbour
• Dorset Seafood Festival 🐟
• Lulworth Cove & Fossil Forest
• Sweeping views to Mupe, Worbarrow & Kimmeridge Bays
• St Aldhelm’s Head & the Norman chapel
Saturday: 07:45 meet near Hotel Novotel London West, 1 Shortlands, W6 8DR; 08:00 sharp departure; 11:00-18:00 hiking the Isle of Portland (distance: 20 km, difficulty: challenging*), Dorset Seafood Festival; 18:30 check-in at our accommodation, free time & sunset by the sea;
Sunday: 07:30-08:00 breakfast; 09:30-18:00 hiking along the Jurassic Coast from Lulworth Cove to Worth Matravers (distance: 22 km, difficulty: difficult*), dinner at the Square & Compass pub, serving a great selection of local beers and ales and tasty, homemade pasties and pies; 18:00 departure; 21:00 London, Hammersmith.
* see http://www.nwhiker.com/HikeEval.html
Saturday - Isle of Portland:
Our hike will start from the Grove village, on the Isle of Portland. We will head to a small secluded beach of Church Ope Cove with superb views on our left to the chalk and limestone cliffs of Purbeck. Our coastal walk will then continue past the ruins of the 15th-century Rufus Castle and disused quarries towards Portland Bill Lighthouse, where we'll make a short stop for refreshments. From there a beautiful clifftop track will lead us to Tout Quarry Sculpture Park and the iconic Olympic Rings Sculpture with picture-postcard views of the Chesil Beach. After following the Chesil Bank, then passing Sandsfoot Castle and Gardens, our hike will finish in Weymouth's Old Harbour at the seafood festival!
Sunday - Lulworth Cove to Worth Matravers:
We'll start off at the beautiful, scallop-shaped Lulworth Cove. We will pass the Fossil Forest, containing the most complete fossil record of a Jurassic Forest in the world, which grew here perhaps 135 million years ago and head towards Mupe and Worbarrow Bays with absolutely superb clifftop sea views. There are three stiff climbs in the first half of the walk, so be prepared 😊! The path will then continue to the beautiful beach of Kimmeridge Bay along the low black cliffs before leading us to St Aldhelm’s Head with dramatic views and a 12th-century Norman chapel of St Aldhelm. A short distance from there is the pretty village of Worth Matravers, where we will stop for dinner to finish off our long but exhilarating hike!
THE PRICE INCLUDES:
• transport throughout the trip
• experienced IAM/RoSPA qualified driver
• guiding on all hiking routes by an experienced Lowland Leader
• group first aid kit with qualified first aiders
• walkie-talkies in places with bad reception
• expert local knowledge and 24-hour emergency assistance during the trip
• hiking expertise and experience since 2008
• packed lunch on Sunday
• one of the options below for one-night accommodation:
o hostel: mixed dormitory room for up to 6 members of our group without breakfast (good breakfast at the hostel – extra £6.75 paid on the day)
o hotel: SHARED twin room with breakfast included (you will share a room with somebody from our group of the same gender)
THE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
• personal insurance (for cancellation, accident, health, emergency evacuation and loss, theft of or damage to baggage and personal effects, personal trekking insurance)
Hostel: YHA Portland.
Hotel: Riviera Hotel.
As on most of our trips, we will travel in a comfortable 16-seater minibus with air conditioning and Wi-Fi.
If you prefer to drive yourself, the ‘self-drive’ option is available on request (you can join our trip from any part of Britain)! Please PM us if you prefer this option.
All options have now SOLD OUT.
WHAT TO BRING:
• towels for a hostel booking
• suitable hiking shoes
• waterproof & windproof clothes
• nuts and energy snacks to last you during the trip
• packed lunch for Sunday if you have any special dietary requirements
• water bottle
• small bag up to 10 kg
• cap & suncream
• walking poles
That’s it, we will take care of the rest, so just turn up and have a great long weekend of hiking 😊!