Come and join us on a hike to Corfe Castle - one of England's most majestic ruins! The first stone of Corfe Castle was laid more than 1,000 years ago and since then it has been at the centre of battles, plots and mysteries. It has been a treasury, military garrison, royal residence and family home. On this one-day hike, we will discover this iconic medieval skyscraper standing 21 metres tall, on the top of a 55-metre-high hill. Corfe Castle dominates the skyline of the Purbecks for miles around and the views are simply breathtaking.
Our route will follow the Purbeck Way, taking in England’s first natural UNESCO World Heritage Site - the Jurassic Coast. Throughout the walk, we will enjoy awe-inspiring panoramic views of the Purbeck Hills and the Dorset coast.
• The golden sands of Studland Bay and Knoll Beach - one of the most prominent nudist beaches in the UK.
• Stunning panoramic views of the Jurassic Coast and one of the most famous landmarks on the South Coast - Old Harry Rocks. According to legend, the 65 million-year-old chalk outcrops were named Old Harry as a euphemism for the devil, who allegedly used to nap on the rocks. Another story tells of the pirate and smuggler, Harry Paye, who attacked many merchant ships as they left Poole Harbour, storing his spoils nearby.
• Wonderful panoramic views of the seaside towns of Poole and Swanage.
• Ruins of the thousand-year-old Corfe Castle.
DISTANCE & DIFFICULTY:
Distance: 11 miles (18 km).
Ascent: 200 metres.
Difficulty: Moderate (http://www.nwhiker.com/HikeEval.html).
This hike is suited for people with a medium level of fitness.
07:45 meet near Hotel Novotel London West, 1 Shortlands, W6 8DR (five minute walk from Hammersmith Station); 08:00 sharp departure; 11:00-15:30 hiking to Corfe Castle; 15:30-17:00 lunch/dinner in the picturesque village of Corfe Castle; 17:00 departure; 20:00 London, Hammersmith.
As on most of our trips, we will travel in a comfortable 16-seater minibus with air conditioning and Wi-Fi.
If you prefer to drive yourself, the ‘self-drive’ option is available on request (you can join our trip from any part of Britain)! Please PM us if you prefer this option.
This hike is led by an experienced Lowland Leader.
The trip has now SOLD OUT.
THE PRICE INCLUDES:
• professional event organisation
• guiding by an experienced Lowland Leader
• walkie-talkies provided in places with bad reception
• admin fee
• PayPal fee
WHAT TO BRING:
• suitable hiking shoes and clothes
• packed lunch (optional)
That’s it, we will take care of the rest, so just turn up and have a great day hiking 🙂!