addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
A former member
Post #: 10
Do you want to know how hard it is to get around on the bus, hard enough that I want to scream every time I see one.

California bus system is #1 in the country but i couldn't get to the correctional officer exam this morning because the bus in my area does not run that early.
So I called a cab at 2 AM to tell them i need them by 2:30. They show up at 2:27. But when i get down stairs i don?t see the cab. So i called and as they answered some guy gets out of a nice gas hog SUV, new right off the lot. And asks if i called for a cab. I asked him were the cab was, he said he was it. I asked the lady over the phone "you send me a civil car"
"Yes" she says
"I ordered a cap"
"We didn't have a taxi so i called another company, we don?t have any taxis in your area"
"But your business card says 2 to 3 minutes to get there"

I didn't get in the car with him. I tried calling other cabs but they would all take at least 25 minutes to get to my area because no one has cabs in my area. But i saw many cabs driving by.
I even tried to get to the corners to flag them down. But nothing.
I stood at a bus stop so i wouldn?t look like a you know what standing on the street corner. And a guy pulled up and said he was a taxi did i need a right. He didn't speak english very well.
And I was thanking I turned down one of these crocked cabs once and now I?m trying to make it the bus that could be miles away, and I can?t get a real cab so I?ll go for it.
So I try getting in the back seat, but he wouldn?t open the door he tried getting me in the front seat. I asked him ask again if he was a cab, and he repeated where I was trying to get to. And said that was too far, and changed his mind about being a cab. Abut while this was going on a real cab passed us. Just my luck.
I ended up walk for over an hour trying to get the first bus stop hoping that if I cout the next bus I would still make it on time. I got about a half a mile away and found a bus that was going to that bus stop and got on. I sat at the bus stop for 40 minutes waiting for the bus. The time the first on had going by has passed by on the next hour (3:03 then 4:04). I decided I would take the next bus to come. And that was the one that brought me to the stop I took it a block away from the blue line and headed home. I feel asleep on the bus after the train and had to wait even longer to get home. Lol

I have to get a car, but I don?t have money saved and I don?t know if a dealer would give me a car with no money down with out a co-signer. But this bus thing is not working.
And I thought the buses in Michigan were bad, lol

Had to rant, no one arond here for me to tell, and i can't get my sister on the phone. lol

Hope all is well with you all.
Leigh Anne
A former member
Post #: 84
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I never had any bus problems to speak of (okay once a bus didn't show up, but that was once in two years). Then again, I was never taking buses that late at night - at least not later than 11PM. I know some do run 24 hours, but you have to know which. I used the website to figure that all out when I needed to get somewhere.

Way back when, my parents used to use a car service in NYC to get around when they were doing work there. I gather many were affordable and it was much easier then always trying to catch cabs. They did use SUV's or other types of cars. Maybe they have a low cost car service in LA? It'd cost more than the bus, but maybe not much more than a cab? I personally don't find it so weird that a cab company would use other types of cars, but they should have told you ahead of time. And heck, since when do any cab drivers speak with good English? haha. Well, NY cab drivers never really did anyway.

Seriously though, it sounds like you had some pretty bad luck. Maybe try searching google for other forms of getting around LA?

For a car, if you have never purchased one before, they do require a pretty hefty down payment. It's usually 1/4th of the cost of the car. However you can get a lower cost car by getting a pre owned one (but still use a good dealer).

I used the bus system for two years for errands, school etc. while I saved money and tried to build credit. BUT when I got my first car (yesterday!)... I was able to get a REALLY nice one (I'll post about it later, I'm so proud of myself!). So if you hang in there, it DOES get easier eventually! I know it can be frustrating taking the bus, and sometimes a little scary. *hugs* For meetup stuff at least, see if any other meetup members live near you that you can carpool with? I usually do that and just offer to chip in for gas or buy them dinner or whatever. :)
A former member
Post #: 11
congrats on the car.

i had a car back in michigan but it would never make the trip. the car i had before that i bought from a dealer, that was not a good deal at all. angry

i will be saving up for a car in three weeks. first i need things for my room (apartment), but i'll rent a car for the day to do that shoping.

the bad part of that moring was i knew something was going to go wrong with the cab. i dreamed it, but i didn't listen. so i was more made at myself in the long run, and i was the dumb ass that walked. lol

talk later,
Leigh Anne