addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › pine shavings

pine shavings

Molly
user 13273946
Woodland Hills, CA
Post #: 14
I've shopped at Kahoots and have been happy. They are friendly and more helpful than Red Barn.
Leanne
user 11879008
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 77
I like shavings, but after trying lots of brands and sizes, I prefer the ones with bigger shaving size, and with the dust screened out a little more. The bits in my favorite brand are also a little too big to snack on. My favorite is made by a local company, Long Beach Shavings. The product is called LB Pak, but they make many other kinds of animal bedding shavings.

Here is a link to the LB Pak details.

They generally supply it in giant bulk orders to feed stores, ranches, and stables, but they do sell it to public at the mill/ warehouse in Long Beach. Call ahead to make sure they have it in stock.

Long Beach Shavings Co., Inc.
20915 S. Lamberton Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90810
800-439-5527
310-639-1145

Diana
user 9718965
Lake Arrowhead, CA
Post #: 111
I use shavings in their boxes and hay on the ground in their coop. I've never had any mite issues here. They both work just fine. Holly Shit talks about various types of product to use and hay rated pretty high in the grand scheme of things. It has good absorption and it breaks down nicely and the benefit for your yard. Hay mixed with chicken poop is great stuff for the backyard farmer.
Sue T.
SueTalbot
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 39
...as long as you compost it properly first. Raw chicken poop on your garden will burn your plants right up. (It works well as a weed-killing mulch, however.)
TonyC
thchen
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 22
My favorite is made by a local company, Long Beach Shavings. The product is called LB Pak, but they make many other kinds of animal bedding shavings.

They generally supply it in giant bulk orders to feed stores, ranches, and stables, but they do sell it to public at the mill/ warehouse in Long Beach. Call ahead to make sure they have it in stock.

20915 S. Lamberton Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90810
800-439-5527
310-639-1145

thanks for this BTW. $8.50/11 cuft compressed into 3cuft packages. I went with the Premium Pine variety as that's what the manager rec'd. When I run out, I'll go back and try the LB Pak. They were only 20min away from the office which is awesome
Cara
user 67618442
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 19
Yes, the customer service at red barn is absolutely horrible. I've just started going to Kahoots in chatsworth or Topanga Feed & Seed in the canyon for my wood shavings and everything else. I live 5 minutes away from red barn but I can't bring myself to go there anymore after being treated so rudely by a certain lady there. I prefer Topanga seed & feed because it's a lovely drive and the family that runs it is really nice.
A former member
Post #: 70
I get our pine shavings at Kahoots in Chatsworth, good people, great service
TonyC
thchen
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 66
I like shavings, but after trying lots of brands and sizes, I prefer the ones with bigger shaving size, and with the dust screened out a little more. The bits in my favorite brand are also a little too big to snack on. My favorite is made by a local company, Long Beach Shavings. The product is called LB Pak, but they make many other kinds of animal bedding shavings.

20915 S. Lamberton Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90810
800-439-5527
310-639-1145

sad to report LB Shavings is out of business and the building is currently for lease.
MaryEllen S.
user 13593726
Altadena, CA
Post #: 149
Red Barn is terrible, terrible, terrible. Worst customer service ever. I get pine shavings, hay, and other chicken supplies at East Valley Feed and Tack, in Sun Valley.
Diana
user 9718965
Lake Arrowhead, CA
Post #: 167
Wow, this discussion has been going on so long I didn't realize I already commented. Some updates, we did eventually get mites. We also used some hay for a while. Coincidence? Probably not. We solved the problem with some DE baths. We now keep DE mixed in a bucket of dirt in the coop where the chickens take baths. We use pine shavings, also I throw in grass cuttings from when the gardener comes and leaves from fall droppings. All seems to work real well. The chickens love the grass clippings and the leaves. It's reduced our expenses as well.