addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › first hatch! and... anyone have an extra chick?

first hatch! and... anyone have an extra chick?

Pete K.
user 54883572
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 4
I'm almost done with my first hatch, and I'm very happy to report one lively, healthy black star baby girl! It looks like the other three eggs didn't make it (this is day 22, the baby hatched on day 20). I suspect an ill-advised increase in humidity on day 20, a poorly-calibrated thermometer and a slightly hot temperature, or possibly ignorantly turning the eggs on day 20. (There's a fifth egg which I put in the incubator a week later, but my amateur attempts to candle don't show good air pocket development. I think the egg was probably infertile, as it was laid several weeks after the rooster left.)

Does anyone near Pasadena have an extra chick I could take for a companion? Otherwise my plan is to schlep out to Chicken Stars in Norco. Can anyone recommend someplace closer to Pasadena that sells chicks?

I'm glad I did this after rehoming my rooster. I have to say, I didn't expect any eggs to hatch. It's quite a miracle, and I'd highly recommend it to any of you with a rooster.
Par S.
user 37469972
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 6
Hi Pete,
congrats on your first hatch! we had a broody hen about 2 weeks ago who sat on some mail ordered eggs but unfortunately none hatched, so we got some day old chicks from East Valley Feed store in Sun Valley to put under her. They had Ameraucanas, barred rocks and Rhone island reds when we went.

Par
Pete K.
user 54883572
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 6
Thanks for the tip, Par.

Autopsy showed the other 4 eggs were simply infertile. The girl that hatched was the last fertile egg from that hen! (I'd rehomed the rooster a couple of weeks earlier.) Talk about luck.

Nancy
user 13913292
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 20
Hi, I went into the coop this evening and heard peeps. Let me know if you still need chicks. They will be barnyard specials. Most likely the dad is a Lav AM.

Nancy