addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Non laying Silkies

Non laying Silkies

Helen R.
user 10323615
Temple City, CA
Post #: 1
I've had 3 black silkies for about 5 mos. They were 7 mos old when we got them and were laying regularly. Since we've had them, they've had 2 episodes of being broody. While broody, no eggs. For the last 2 weeks they've been up and about with the rest of the flock...but still no eggs. Is this common for the breed?
A former member
Post #: 31
Hi Helen,
It is normal for hens to stop laying eggs when they become broody. Women go through the same process when they become pregnant smile After hen comes out of her broody mood and leaves the nest to join the rest of the flock it takes a while for her to start laying again. It is depend on the breed, and also other factors can prolong the time, like extreme heat, stress or molting. This summer, two of my hens were broody and it took almost 2 weeks for them to start laying again, but they are not silkies. Give your girls some time.
Annissa
mycitychicks
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 17
I have one white silkie and she will lay 8 eggs in a row one a day and then get very broody. It's a problem because she makes crazy sounds at the other hens when they try to enter the coop to lay. Then they get sqwaulky because they need to lay but are intimidated by the tiny little crazy. Creates a lot of drama!