addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Mareks in flock

Mareks in flock

A former member
Post #: 380
In 4 1/2 years of keeping chickens, we have yet to get a infectious health issue in our flock.

Ditto, except mine occasionally escaped to roam the neighborhood, and held by hundreds of people. If chickens have been vaccinated, I wouldn't worry about the risk of getting a disease because of the reward of happy and healthier chickens (healthy because exposure to them elements makes them stronger) and it educates many others about chickens.

However, like raising kids it is up to each person on how to raise their chickens.

Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 435
[

However, like raising kids it is up to each person on how to raise their chickens.

You are so right Marty. For instance, I would not vaccinate my chickens just as I would not vaccinate me... but don't worry anyone, I'm not planning to take my boys or girls anywhere :)
A former member
Post #: 383
[

You are so right Marty. For instance, I would not vaccinate my chickens just as I would not vaccinate me... but don't worry anyone, I'm not planning to take my boys or girls anywhere :)

I thought they are already vaccinated, at least the hatchery chicks purchased online or at feed stores. I think the whole idea of keeping them locked in prison when there is so much to enjoy is overrated, but as in many other things there are always exceptions, and if Marek's is known to exist and flock is not vaccinated I would certainly be careful.
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 437
[

I thought they are already vaccinated, at least the hatchery chicks purchased online or at feed stores. I think the whole idea of keeping them locked in prison when there is so much to enjoy is overrated, but as in many other things there are always exceptions, and if Marek's is known to exist and flock is not vaccinated I would certainly be careful.

well, you are right Marty, not sure about the 14 I rescued from Animal Place... or the few companion hens I got for my boys... don't know if they had any vaccination!

All my other ones I adopted since they were born and no, no vaccines at all... When they were born it didn't even cross my mind to take them to the vet or vaccinate them either... probably because I don't go to doctors either... only for emergencies I go to the vet, and I'm finding more and more reasons to avoid that trip :)

I get your point about Marek's... what can I say? my flock is very isolated so unless is brought by mosquitos or other pests, I would say they are very low risk...

Thanks for all your input and help... I appreciate the time you always take to help all of us :)