addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Azure Standard Favorite Products???

Azure Standard Favorite Products???

Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 128
Hi All,

I have been ordering from AS for a year or so but I am always overwhelmed by their catalog and find their website not overly shopping friendly. So I thought I would start a thread to see what others buy from AS both for themselves and their chickens! I always feel like I am missing things ..... I was happy to see Marty's post of products on a different thread but that seems to have been deleted :(

So lets make a list!!!

Things I have ordered or am planning on ordering:

Code Brand Name Size Price

GRAINS:
GR110 Azure Farm Hard White Wheat Berries, Organic 50 lbs. $32.40
GR093 Azure Farm Milo (Grain Sorghum), Organic 25 lbs. $10.90
GR059 Azure Farm Rye Berries, Organic 50 lbs. $20.90
GR101 Azure Farm Spelt Grain, Organic 25 lbs. $32.05
GR066 Azure Farm Wheat Berries, Soft White, Organic 50 lbs. $19.15
GR063 Azure Farm Wheat, Hard, Red, Organic 50 lbs. $19.15
GR001 Bulk Barley, Hulled, Organic 25 lbs. $22.35
GP073 Bulk Chicken Wheat, Organic 50 lbs. $15.20
GR031 Montana Milling Millet, Dehulled, Organic 25 lbs. $22.30
GR113 Bulk Kamut Grain, Organic 25 lbs. $20.85
GR108 Bulk Oat Groats, Organic 25 lbs. $22.55
GP168 Bulk Whole Barley - Animal Feed, Organic 45 lbs. $18.95
GP034 Bulk Whole Oats with Hulls - Animal Feed, Organic 45 lbs. $15.35

FEED:
GP418 Magill Ranch Cascade Grower Poultry Feed, Organic - Corn & Soy Free 50 lbs $33.45
GP416 Magill Ranch Cascade Layer Poultry Feed, Organic - Corn & Soy Free 50 lbs $33.45
GP417 Magill Ranch Cascade Starter Poultry Feed, Organic - Corn & Soy Free 50 lbs $33.45
GP297 Rogue Feed Alfalfa Pellets 50 lbs. $16.95
GP003 Rogue Feed Chicken Layer Pellets, Soy Free, Organic 40 lbs. $25.15
GP493 Scratch & Peck Feeds Naturally Free Poultry Layer Feed, 16%, Soy and Corn Free 40 lb $25.50 10% off

EXTRAS: (pest control & treats)
EO061 Aura Cacia Pine Essential Oil 0.5 oz. $5.55
EO066 Nature's Alchemy Clove Bud 0.5 oz. $4.25 15% off
EO069 Nature's Alchemy Lavender 0.5 oz. $6.95 15% off
EO073 Nature's Alchemy Orange 0.5 oz. $2.35 15% off
EO076 Nature's Alchemy Rosemary 0.5 oz. $3.55 15% off
HB587 Neem Aura Topical Neem Oil 1 oz. $7.90
HS447 OregOil Wild Mediterranean Oil of Oregano 1 oz. $20.80
HS029 Oregon Spice Cayenne Pepper 140,000 HU 1 lb. $7.05
GP010 Bulk Diatomaceous Earth, Codex Grade 50 lbs. $19.95
GP029 Bulk Calcium Carbonate Powder, Ag 50 lbs. $6.40
GP200 Redmond's Mineral Conditioner 50 lbs. $9.70
SE061 Bulk Sesame Seeds White, Hulled, Organic 5 lbs. $12.80
CO129 Bulk Vinegar, Raw Apple Cider, Organic 1 gallon $8.80
CO066 Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic 32 ozs. $5.00
SE095 Bulk Sunflower Seeds, Raw, Domestic, Organic 5 lbs. $13.85
SE072 Bulk Pumpkin Seeds, Organic 5 lbs. $22.40

PEOPLE FOOD:

Raw Cheddar
multicolor popcorn! This stuff is GREAT!!
Organic Yogurt
Sucanat
Flour
Chia Seeds
Clover Seed
Various vegetable seeds for the garden

What do you all like??? And am I missing any Chicken related products?? I find that section of their site particularly difficult to navigate!
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 131
I'm thinking of ordering field peas, some sort of lentils and quinoa.

How did you like the rye, kamut and spelt? Did the ladies like them? I may phase out the milo in my mix because I ferment and Roberta pointed out the issues with sprouting milo. I was thinking I'd add some other grains to make up for it. I like that they have smaller quantity bags than Modesto, 50# is a lot with just 5 chickens.

Also the idea of a pair of ducks is getting tossed around. Not sure if they could eat similar feed to the chickens. Need to look into that.
sandplum
sandplum
Winnetka, CA
Post #: 40
Thanks to Jennifer and her advice on how to get my wild chickens to eat bagged feed products, I now know about Azure Standard AND Scratch and Peck Feeds. She was right... my girls DO like the Scratch and Peck. And there is a new Azure drop off point a couple of blocks from my house, so I have ordered another bag of it.

Now, what to do with the bucket of layer pellets that my chickens won't touch?
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 133
Ducks Brandi??!!! Cool!!! Yes I believe they can eat the same food but ducks are MESSY from what I understand.

This will be my first time ordering the kamut and spelt .... I ferment too and I used the Milo and my girls are still kicking ;) Azure is out of Milo & Millet for the season though.... The Cascade feed which I use to love is now total dust ... Milled so fine it is powder. I much prefer the semi milled state of the Scratch & Peck feed ... Its what the Cascade used to be like.

Do you make up any scratch to throw out for the girls ??? or do you just dump you FF on the grass for them???
I have been mixing some grains but I much prefer to feed them soaked grains... Its just harder to keep down by my coop and I like to have treats available at all times in case I need to round them up or distract them!!
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 132
I love ducks, they are so funny! I used to baby sit 2 ducks for friends for several years. They were great for organic gardening and they didn't trample the plants but they do need water and are pretty poopy. Not that my girls aren't super poopers! I have a little spot where I could put a pond for the ducks but we'll see. I need to do some reading on what to get. I dump the FF in the compost area or run, usually. Grass?!? HA! I wish I could grow grass ;) Some day. Some day.

I throw out BOSS, sprouted barley or oats as scratch and use meal worms for bribery! I didn't like the pellets or the super fine, flour like texture of the grains and so I started mixing my feed. I also worry about how they keep it from going rancid...

Maybe I'll order some peas, kamut, spelt, and check into the lentils and quinoa. Do you know when the next drop is going to be?

Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 136
My order cutoff date is tomorrow and the drop is the following Tues. I believe.
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 135
I've never done an order with them. Do they have a minimum?

I'm thinking I could get some stuff now. I'll just have to look at what they have in smaller bags since my shed is still pretty full!

Is the drop out in the valley ?
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 481
I use the Torrance drop off. There are different ones at different sites and usually one person is the contact who runs the text messages to let people know when the order is to be dropped off. Brandi, if you order you can order for K4 by 4 pm today (wed) and I can pick it up. We need to let Mari know that i will pick up for you on Tues. I will be at the huntington library on Sat april 13 if that helps people see if they want to order and we can meet on the 13th around 8am
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 136
Thanks Roberta! I called Azure and tried to get in on an order but they said I need a drop number. I'd suspect it won't happen before 4pm since it's 3:30 now. It's not critical now anyway. I can wait until the Rose bowl drop after the 22nd.

If anyone needs me to pick something up at the next drop, I can probably do it, then arrange to meet somewhere when convenient.

That goes for you also Roberta! I go to Long Beach frequently since I have family there!
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 137
I just ordered for the rose bowl drop:

GR113 Bulk Kamut Grain, Organic 25 lbs. 1 $20.85 $20.85
GR101 Azure Farm Spelt Grain, Organic 25 lbs. 1 $32.05 $32.05
BE024 Bulk Lentils, Green, Organic 25 lbs. 1 $27.45 $27.45
GR074 Bulk Quinoa, Gluten Free, Organic 25 lbs. 1 $55.80 $55.80
BE060 Bulk Green Split Peas, Organic 25 lbs. 1 $19.20 $19.20

I'll report back, if anyone is curious. Did anyone find Organic BOSS through Azure? I agree with Amanda, it's not super user friendly as far as websites go... I ended up just using the search engine to find grains and legumes I wanted to order.

Also, other than the peas, I'd be open to splitting some of this stuff, if someone wants to. I do need all the peas though. I can order more items or additional quantity before the 17th. I'd consider wheat berries or something, I just could not find them ;)