addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
A former member
Post #: 22
Do you know where I can buy Albendazole off the shelf in LA? Just figured out I have a worm problem w one of my hens (she's been sick off and on since I got her last fall). The regular deworming stuff made her better for a while but she's back sick as ever w worms (or parts of one) all over her butt. Looks like I may have killed some worms w Wazine letting another flourish.

thanks
A former member
Post #: 23
The brand name is Valbazen. If anyone has some I will buy it and pick it up Thanks
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 141
Are you in Monrovia??? I have some but I'm in WLA .... I also have safeguard for goats which was another recommended one.... Trying to remember where I found the Valbazen as that is what I was originally looking for ... I know I got the safeguard at Kahoots ... Valbazen might have been in El Monte at a feed store there or off the net.

I have way more then I can ever use and I am trying NOT TO USE IT!! I am using Basic H soap which is a natural Soy (ugh) made soap ... apparently farmers swear by it .. .. So I'm giving it a go ... I'd rather not use chemicals if I can help it!

If you are in need of some I have some ... Let me know

A former member
Post #: 24
disparate for some I can get it now!! or anytime you are available I have a very sick chicken and think it is a tape worm Call me 213-703-8767 or 323-662-4803. I can drop everything to get it... Thanks much
A former member
Post #: 25
Amanda: Thank you very very much. The girls all have been treated, thanks to you. I could not find this stuff anywhere for immediate pick up. Great message board. Probably saved my chicken's life. Thanks again for dropping everything to help Amanda.
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 143
You are welcome!!! I hope your girl recovers quickly!!! Keep us posted.
A former member
Post #: 26
I'm afraid I'm making one mistake after another. I just discovered LICE on her today. I almost killed my husband's bees (who are in boxes near the coop) by first thinking I would apply Sevin, but just out of shear luck stopped in time. I have washed my girl (Layla) with dog and puppy flea and lice shampoo, which was recommended as an alternative. Now she is wheezing. It seems very upper respiratory (even nasal/beak). I was feeding her with an eye dropper when she started. Now she's asleep and snoring. I'm at my wits end....Any suggestions??? I may see if I can take her to a vet tomorrow. She's lice and worm free or almost by now...I hope she doesn't die of an upper respiratory infection!
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 143
Wood ash (from a fireplace, etc) to dust the chickens. Then follow with Nu Stock ointment. It smothers the lice. I'd avoid sevin and DE if you want beneficial bacterial in your coop, etc. They kill indiscriminately. And if you do use them, do not compost any of the bedding, etc. it will kill your compost.
A former member
Post #: 27
Thank you for the suggestion. She is awake, alert this morning but won't move. No more wheezing, but eating (thankfully) yogurt/egg yolk/electrolytes from a lying position. I hope she didn't break something in the eg. bath.
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 144
Well it is good that she is eating.... Lice & Mites can kill chickens if the infestation is large enough. Keep giving her egg yolk, yogurt etc etc ... I might try some polyvisol baby vitamins WITHOUT IRON.... You can get them at any drugstore. I'd give her 3-4 drops twice a day. You don't want her body to work hard to digest so you might want to make a very liquid mash out of her pellets or crumbles .... no whole grains for now. How are her poops ???

Also in future for lice you can give them a bath in Dr Bronners soap and salt. first one then follow up with the other and then a rinse .... dusting with wood ash is great too but the bath immediately gets the little buggers off of her!
I also use Nu-Stock and have read a suggestion of putting a sulfur block in the coop to deter lice & mites....

Is she feeling any better this afternoon?