addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Black soldier flies

Black soldier flies

Greg
user 101629802
Eugene, OR
Post #: 1
I was wondering how many of you that have chickens feed them Black Soldier Flies Grubs?
How many of you have bins for either raising BSF for chicken feed or for composting?
My company Grown Locally in Eugene Oregon sells Black Soldier Flies if your interested see us at www.grownlocally.net
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 522
hi Greg,
Yes many of the group here do raise them... I live SO far from everyone, this comes very handy (as oppose to take them up on their multiple offers to get some from them and drive an hour at least!)... so I'm ordering NOW!
thanks for posting,
Sven
user 28416502
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 32
This season BSF larvae started breeding very late for me. If wonder why? My bin is only now starting to fill up. How was this season for everyone so far?

Here is a link to a youtube video about raising Black Soldier Fly Larvae for Chicken Feed

sven

Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 578
I thought things were taking off a couple of months ago and then things died off and I only have a few but then last week I found a very fat lizard sitting in my collection container so I think I know where they were going now!! I also saw a few flying around this week so I'm hoping that the warm water will keep things going.
ceebs
ceebs
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 84
My biopod really hasn't taken off yet this year, but I bet there are tons of BSFL in my compost bins. About once a week I see an adult flying around so I know they're out there being busy.
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 209
Celebs, how do you like your biopod?
ceebs
ceebs
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 85
I like the Biopod very much. It was easy to set-up, easy to maintain and it's durable. Although it's a pricey item, I ultimately broke down and got it when the parts I got for a DIY biopod sat in my back yard for a year, untouched. Lots of projects and not enough time!
JJ
user 80252532
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 41
Lots of projects and not enough time!
this I understand...
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 539
My biopod really hasn't taken off yet this year, .
Hi Ceebs,
I have been thinking about getting one of these, but have been hesitant... what do you mean, it has not taken off this year? you are not using it? or... ??? would like to learn from your experience and what to expect from it...

thanks,
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 210
I have to say I was more than ecstatic when I went to my Black plastic compost bin yesterday and found it teeming with BSF larvae!!! The bummer was I had to put on a glove and pick them out to give the Chix. Made me wish I had the Biopod! It is pricey but it's on my wish list! It would also be nice to have a dedicated bin to put the meat scrapes and po*p in from my cats & dogs. I'm sure it's the horse droppings I put in there that sent out the welcome signal for them!