addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Are these lice eggs?

Are these lice eggs?

A former member
Post #: 26
I found one of my eggs this morning covered with tiny round beige balls about the size of large grains of sand. I Googled it and read that lice eggs are white and didn't see anything about them being stuck to the chicken egg. Does anyone here know what this is? I'm dusting with DE asap.... any leads would be appreciated!

Laurie
A former member
Post #: 3
It looks liek they could be, but you'll need to inspect the hen's vent--they will be clinging to the feather shaft, glued like cement. My chickens have had lice but I never saw them on the eggs--I inspected the chickens because their butts were looking ragged. Lice is a drag, you have to treat everybody and do a major coope clean-out. Whatever you choose to use must be repeated twice, or even three times, to get them in all stages.

Good Luck!
A former member
Post #: 95
could they be mites?
A former member
Post #: 27
Thanks Laura, I checked and didn't see anything. All their feathers are shiny and healthy and nothing around the vent. I haven't seen anything like this since. I found something that said it is probably calcium deposits, because they are the same color as the shell. I did just switch them from all-purpose to lay food. I'm going to keep checking and use DE as a preventative measure.