WordPress is a highly customizable and accessible tool for building and maintaining your own website, but it can also be challenging to wade through the vast selection of themes, plugins, and other more complex functions on your own.
Join us Saturday, Oct. 6 (9am to 5pm) for a day-long intensive workshop led by WordPress experts who will guide you step-by-step through setting up your own WordPress website, as well as help you configure the Themes, Plugins, SEO, Analytics and other key components you'll need to successfully run your site. We'll not only teach you the basics, but also turn you into experts by explaining what makes WordPress tick.
Past workshop students have great things to say about our workshop and instructor, Belsien Thomas:
"Excellent, well-prepared, thorough. Equally great for beginners and intermediate."
- Anna Marie P.
"Excellent! 5-star performance for sure! Belsien Thomas was clear, methodical, prepared, and knowledgeable."
- Doreen C.
"I started with almost no knowledge of WordPress and came away understanding the way it works. I feel equipped with the information to secure certain key elements of my future site and aware of what to look out for."
- Anna N.
"It was a great presentation with the why of the 'WP' rules to keep it working/not hacked."
- Cherry D.
As space is limited, secure your spot today by RSVPing to the right.
Note: you'll need to bring your own laptop.
What you'll learn in the workshop:
- Understand the key components that make up WordPress
- How to install and setup a WordPress Site in 5 minutes
- How to publish and edit a Post or Page
- How to create and manage different users
- Understand how and when to use Categories vs. Tags vs. Custom Taxonomies (Custom Post Types)
- How to install, activate, and deactivate Plugins for key functionality
- How to find and install Themes
- How to setup custom Navigation menus
- How to use Sidebars and place Widgets on your site
- Understand how WordPress decides which file to use
- How to create and assign a custom template for any page on your site
- Additional topics covered include SEO & Analytics, advanced uses of WordPress, Defacto/recommended Plugins and more
The Workshop will cover the recent version of WordPress 3.4 with updates.
Note: To help us custom tailor the workshop for you, please fill out this survey so we can focus on your top needs: http://goo.gl/5eHbl
About the Primary Instructor:
Belsien Thomas has been building websites using WordPress since 2006 (version 2.x), and possesses more than 12 years of Web technology experience dating back to the launch of his first online learning startup at age 17.
He has extensive experience helping everyone from community users to clients and major brands achieve their online goals through WordPress.
As an active member of the Los Angeles WordPress community, Thomas has given talks on advanced WordPress topics at prior Meetups and presented at WordCamp. He blogs passionately about WordPress at http://wppowerguide.com (http://wppowerguide.com/)
Thomas also works closely with multiple teams of Web Developers, Designers, and technology professionals addressing client needs and delivering solutions to complex technical problems.
SoCal WP's organizer Noel Saw will also offer mini presentations during this workshop.
About the Classroom:
Kleverdog Academie is a professional learning venue featuring a classroom lab equipped with rows of desks and chairs, as well as a lounge area for networking after the event. Photos: http://goo.gl/Otgr7
Parking options can be found here: http://goo.gl/7dsa7