addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Louisville area Hermetic Arts Study Group Message Board › Just a question to start some conversation in here.

Just a question to start some conversation in here.

James
user 86832372
Jeffersonville, IN
Post #: 1
Hello everyone. I have a question for all of you. When you first started to learn the Hermetic arts, did you have someone to study with or did you do it all on your own? If you had someone to study with, did it make it better for you?
Timaeus
Timaeus
Group Organizer
Jeffersonville, IN
James,

I have been thinking about your question. I started learning around 1996 or 1997. Prior to that, during my high school years I was mostly interested in shamanism and altered states of consciousness, such as the isolation tank. I am still interested in these things. But, what I discovered in Hermeticism was that ritual is a profoundly altered state of consciousness, which in some cases can be more powerful than drugs. Beyond that, it seems to me that the whole point is that spirit and matter come together during ritual, if it is done well. The experience of spirit and matter coming together, breaks through towards a new unity. This experience is my interpretation of gnosis. It is like making love: the beauty of when two things which seem as opposites, coming together. It releases vast amounts of creative energy and takes you to the most beautiful heights.

I started having this experience within a group, and it was beneficial to me for the fact that it allowed me to have this experience. It was negative, however, in the sense that the social dynamic was somewhat flawed, and I felt that there wasn't enough kindness and consideration within the group. But, on the other hand, I know from this experience that ritual work within a group can create a very deep closeness, like a different kind of familial tie between people. This is why I hope one day to take what I learned within that group, and improve upon it, creating a new group where people communicate with one another, listen, and help each other out. I feel it is a task worth doing.

A former member
I've been studying the Hermetic Arts for about 3 years. All I've done thus far has been on my own.