Victoria Road, Surbiton
Dates: Friday 17th March to Sunday 19th March 2017.
Start and finish: Surbiton Station, Victoria Road, Surbiton, Surrey KT6 6BL
Grid reference: 180673.
Start: 14:30 prompt.
Estimated finish: 19:00 but depends on the traffic.
Toilets: There are toilets at Surbiton station.
Mobile for the weekend: 07790 501225.
Designated a National Park in 1954, Exmoor is a beautiful landscape of hilly open moorland, woodland, coast and rivers located in west Somerset and north Devon. Exmoor is 180 miles (290 kilometres) south west of London.
Exmoor is named after the River Exe, the source of which is situated in the centre of the National Park.
The plan is to travel by car to the Exmoor on the afternoon of Friday March 17th departing from Surbiton station (zone 6 station in south west London 25 minutes from London Waterloo) at 1430. The drive from Surbiton is estimated to take around 3 hours 15 minutes.
On the Friday evening, we will meet at our bed & breakfast in Lynmouth at 1930 prior to venturing out to nearby Lynton for dinner.
On the Saturday, there will be two Love To Hikes.
· The first Love To Hike of 9½ miles (15 kilometres) is considered to be one of the finest hikes in Exmoor. Starting from Withypool, we follow the River Barle to the unique clapper bridge at Tarr Steps.
From Tarr Steps, the half way point, we climb to the top of the valley and then over the open moorland of Withypool Hill and past a Bronze Age circle of 37 stones.
· The second Love To Hike is an easy 5½ miles (9 kilometres) starting and finishing in Lynton. This hike has fine coastal scenery including the spectacular Valley of the Rocks. The return to Lynton has outstanding views all the way through woodland and a quiet combe (short valley). As we will be in Lynton and very close to Lynmouth, you will also have the option to do something other than hiking.
On Sunday, there will also be two Love To Hikes.
· The third Love To Hike is one of Exmoor’s classic hikes through the beautiful, steep-sided and thickly wooded valleys of the East Lyn river. The route starts and finishes in Lynmouth and is 6 miles (10 kilometres). From Lynmouth, we follow the East Lyn river to Watersmeet and then on to Hoaroak Water. From Hoaroak Water, we climb to Hillsford Bridge before returning to Lynmouth along the top edge of the valley with spectacular views towards the north Devon coast.
· The fourth and final Love To Hike of the weekend is 6½ miles (11 kilometres) and starts and finishes at Haddon Hill which has glorious views over Wimbleball Lake. From the top of Haddon Hill, we descend through woodland into the Haddeo Valley and the follow the course of the River Haddeo to Wimbleball Lake before returning to Haddon Hill.
We will then drive back to London.
We will be staying in the village of Lynmouth which is located on the northern edge of Exmoor on the north Devon coast.
Lynmouth straddles the confluence of the West Lyn and East Lyn rivers in a gorge 210 metres below Lynton, its sister village.
In the 19th century, the high cliffs separating Lynton from Lynmouth were a major obstacle to economic development. However, on Easter Monday 1890, both villages were connected by the Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway. The railway has two cable-connected cars that work using water tanks and the force of gravity.
Our bed & breakfast in Lynmouth will be The Orchard Hotel which has a terrace and views of the sea.
The Orchard Hotel has six rooms: two doubles (one ensuite and one with a private bathroom), three ensuite twins (two of which have one double bed and one single bed) and one ensuite triple (one double bed and two single beds). In total, this means there is enough accommodation for up to 11 Love To Hikers.
All rooms have tea & coffee making facilities, free Wi-Fi, TV, towels, free toiletries and a hair dryer.
The Orchard also has a lounge, drying room, bar and the luxury of a hot tub in the garden that is available free of charge to residents and is ideal for anyone with aching limbs.
Dinner: On Friday evening, we will dine at The Village Inn Pub in Lynton which serves a wide range of pub classics and caters for all diets including vegetarians, vegans and gluten free.
Breakfast: Breakfast at The Orchard consists of fresh fruit salad, freshly baked croissants, full English with bacon, eggs and sausages sourced from local farms, plus, tea, coffee and toast.
Lunch: Lunch on both days will be a picnic which must be ordered the night before at The Orchard. The picnic lunch includes a ciabatta or home-made pasty, home-made cake, fruit and a bottle of water. Two picnic lunches are included in the price for the weekend.
Note: The Orchard can cater for all diets including vegetarians, vegans and gluten free.
WHAT TO BRING
· Sturdy, waterproof hiking boots that have been broken-in, ideally with ankle support. No new boots and no trainers.
· Waterproof jacket: whatever the weather, we hike.
· Water: 2 litres minimum and preferably 3 litres
· Day pack
· Sunglasses and sun protection
· Warm hat and gloves
· Gaiters or waterproof over trousers if rain is expected
· Money for picnic lunches, evening dinners, snacks and drinks
· Hiking poles
The price for the weekend includes:
• Transport by car to and from Exmoor from Surbiton station on Friday March 17th returning to Surbiton station on Sunday March 19th.
• Two nights’ ensuite bed and breakfast accommodation.
• Four guided Love To Hikes including transport by car to and from each one.
• Two picnic lunches.
Excluded from the price are:
• Travel to and from Surbiton station.
• Evening dinners, drinks and snacks.
• Any other expenditure not included within the price above.
The price for the weekend varies by bedroom type:
• Double ensuite room and double room with private bathroom: £260 (sole occupancy) or £210 per person if sharing
• Twin ensuite room: £230 per person
• Triple room: £215 per person
Note: The triple and twin rooms will shared on a same sex basis.
There are up to 11 places available.
If you are a driver and willing to take up to 3 passengers from a London station of your choice in zones 1 to 6 to and from Lynmouth, you will receive a £40 discount and a further £40 discount for each passenger you chauffeur. Thus for a driver with three passengers sharing a twin room, your price for the weekend would be £70. This offer is available on a first come basis for up to two drivers.
To book, there is a £100 non-refundable deposit which you can pay from either your PayPal account or with your debit or credit card. - click on the ‘Yes’ button just below ‘Are you going?’ in the top right hand corner. The balance for the weekend will become due at the start of February.
Upon booking, please email [masked] with your accommodation preference and whether you are willing to be a driver.
When participating in any outdoor activity, there is always the risk of injury and death. When hiking with members of Love To Hike, you acknowledge that:
· You are fully aware of all of the risks involved and accept full responsibility for whatever may happen to you during or after any hike.
· You are in good health, ‘fit to hike’ and capable of keeping the pace for the duration of the hikes.
· You shall wear sturdy hiking boots that have been broken-in, are in good condition (not brand new), and clothing that is appropriate for the time of year and any weather conditions that may arise during the hikes.
· You shall not hold responsible, nor pursue any legal, injury or financial compensation claim against Love To Hike and or the hike leader for anything that may happen to you during or after any of the hikes.
Refunds are not offered for this Meetup.