Garrison Lane, , Chessington, Surrey KT9 2JR
Date: Bank Holiday Tuesday 27th December 2016.
Start and finish: Chessington South Station, Garrison Lane, Chessington, Surrey KT9 2JR.
Grid reference: 221661.
Start: 10:00 prompt.
Estimated finish: 16:00 but depends on the pace of the group.
Drivers: You can park on roads close to station for free.
Toilets: There are no toilets in Horton Country Park and The Star Inn, but not at Chessington South station.
Price: £10.00 per person for a full day’s hike guided by Paul New who has led over 200 day hikes.
Note: The price of the Love To Hike excludes transport, parking and lunch.
Mobile for the day:[masked]
Today’s Love To Hike is 15 miles (25 kilometres) and explorers those parts of the Surrey greenbelt between Chessington, Epsom, Ashtead, Oxshott and Claygate. The route is almost entirely flat.
From the station, it is only a short distance to the countryside as we head east towards Horton Country Park, a nature reserve to the west of Epsom. In Horton Country Park, there will be a toilet stop.
From Horton Country Park, we will head south to the woods and Epsom Common.
From Epsom Common, we head on to Ashtead Common and more woods. Ashtead Common is owned and managed by the City of London Corporation.
From Ashtead Common, we head west. Immediately after crossing the A243, there will be another toilet stop at The Star Inn pub. We then proceed into the woods of Prince's Coverts, which is owned and managed by the Crown Estates.
Prince's Covert takes us to edge of Oxshott before we swing north towards Claygate Common.
We then head to back towards Chessington and Winey Hill.
From Winey Hill, it is only a short distance back to the station.
Lunch will be at a suitable spot around 1230.
Depart: The train to Chessington South leaves London Waterloo at 0916 and arrives at 0950.
Return: Trains to London leave Chessington South at 08 and 38 minutes past the hour.
Train fare: Chessington South is a zone 6 station where you can use Oyster. GroupSave is not available.
Note: As I live locally, I will greet you at Chessington South station.
Chessington South station is just off the A243 which links the A3 and the M25 junction 9. If coming from the M25, go past Chessington World of Adventures and take the first right into Garrison Lane. If coming from London, turn left off the A3 onto the A243. After about 1 kilometre, go straight over a roundabout, past Aldi and take the fifth turn left after the roundabout into Garrison Lane.
Any driver willing to offer a lift, or any passenger seeking a lift, please post a comment with your location and contact details. Passengers, please remember to offer your chauffeur a contribution towards fuel and parking costs.
WHAT TO BRING
• Sturdy, waterproof hiking boots that have been broken-in, ideally with ankle support. No trainers.
• Waterproof jacket: whatever the weather, we hike.
• Water: 2 litres minimum.
• Pre-packed picnic lunch and snacks: it’s a long hike.
• Day pack.
• Hat and gloves.
• Waterproof over trousers if rain is expected.
• Dry base layer for the journey home.
• Hiking poles
£10.00 per person payable in advance upon booking for a full day's hike guided by Paul New.
To book, click on the ‘Yes’ button just below ‘Are you going?’ in the top right hand corner. You can pay from either your PayPal account or with your debit or credit card.
Once the Love To Hike is fully booked, there is a wait list. Some spaces may become available during the week before the ride which can be bought privately on a first come first saved basis from anyone posting a ‘space for sale’ comment.
When participating in any outdoor activity, there is always the risk of injury and death. When biking with Love To Hike, you acknowledge that:
1. You are fully aware of all the risks involved and accept full responsibility for whatever may happen to you during or after the hike.
2. You are in good health, ‘fit to hike’ and capable of keeping the pace for the duration of the route.
3. You shall wear sturdy hiking boots that have been broken-in, are in good condition (not brand new), and clothing that is appropriate for the time of year and any weather conditions that may arise during the hike.
4. You shall not hold responsible, nor pursue any legal, injury or financial compensation claim against Love To Hike and or the hike leader for anything that may happen to you during or after the hike.
Refunds offered if:
Additional notes: The refund will be a £10.00 credit towards any future Love To Hike event.
Payments you make go to the organizer, not to Meetup. You must make refund requests to the organizer.