What we're about
Are you from an East Asian or South East Asian background? Are you keen to connect and socialize with other young people just like yourself? Whether you’ve lived in Melbourne all your life or you’re new to the city, come join us! Our volunteers host all kinds of interesting events from dinners, drinks nights to hiking, day trips and cultural events.
This group is as much yours as it is ours. We encourage members to be active organizers as well as participants. If you have a great idea for an event, why not host it yourself. Just follow our list of handy tips in the section below.
To give everyone a great Meetup experience, remember the golden rule of Meetup:
"Always update your RSVP to tell us if you're NOT coming"
• If you do RSVP to an event, we do expect you to attend. If you can’t make it, try to update your RSVP status as early as possible. This is most important for events where spaces are limited and there’s a waiting list. Think of the people on the list who might miss out!
• Some event hosts may choose to apply the “No Shows” penalty system to their events. If you fail to attend the event but you said you would, you may be marked as a “No Show”. If you accumulate enough “No Shows” over time, you may be given a lower priority when attending events in the future. Event Hosts usually apply this to events with limited spaces and a long waiting list or where prepayment is required. If you can’t come, update your RSVP as soon as possible to avoid being a "No Show-er".
• Our events are run by volunteers, who each run it in their own way. If you have questions, please ask them. They will be happy to help.
Finally, don’t forget to thank the event hosts if you enjoy their event. They give up their spare time and effort to make it happen. They don't get paid. Words of thanks will encourage more events in the future.
STAY SAFE & RESPECT OTHERS
Remember, we're unable to vouch for the character of everyone who joins us. Exercise the same personal safety precautions that you would take if you were in a public place. In turn, please treat everyone you meet with courtesy. Please also respect a person's right to privacy.
EVENT HOSTS / IDEAS WANTED!
Got an idea?! Click on "Suggest a Meetup" to start organizing your event. Our "A" team or organizers will approve the event and make you the event host. If you want to organize events regularly, you can become an event organizer. Just send a message to the Organizer or Co-Organizers to register your interest.
If you do host an event, we suggest you follow our handy list of tips for a smooth event:
• Always provide sufficient details so that people know what to expect. Think about what you would want to know if you were in their shoes.
• If you have to back out of hosting an event, try to find someone to replace you.
• Avoid putting yourself in a situation where you might be out of pocket (up front payments or committing to payments). If you must do so, please make it clear that "No Shows" will not be tolerated by taking Attendance (aka RSVP penalty system). You may also consider "Overbooking" the event by allowing more people to join than there are spaces (of course, this comes with risks).
• If you’re cancelling or postponing, give as much notice as possible. You’ll be surprised how many members may have planned their diary around your event.
• If you must cancel an event. Do not remove the event. Instead mark the event title as struck through or put the word “CANCELLED” next to it.
• We are a social, non-profit group. We don’t condone the use of our Meetup for business promotion, self promotion or commercial gains except for the incidental use of services in the hosting of the events.
• Please let people know whether the RSVP penalty system applies in your event or not. If you want to be strict about attendance, please make it clear that the penalty system will apply.